Problem shifting bravo III into forward

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Out on boat 3 days this past week.  Several times port drive did not want to shift into forward.  Played with throttle a bit and eventually it would “clunk” and go into gear.  It was intermittent.  Most of the time it shifted ok.  Talked to service manager.  Said most likely shift cable is stretched (likely 11 years old).  Said sometimes they can adjust it to buy more time before needing to replace.  He said he would have his guys look at it.

Got call today.  I was out and wife took call.  He said the techs could not duplicate it.  Said next time I was up to boat I could take tech out with me and try and duplicate it.  

Problem is intermittent.  Does tech really have to produce problem to fix it?  I thought there were specific measurements and specs in installing/adjusting shift cable.  At some point cable could be too stretched to achieve those specs and it won’t shift until it’s replaced.  So I expected a call saying they readjusted it OR it’s too worn, I need a new one.

Am am I missing something here?

Comments

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I would start with replacing the 11 year old cable 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am having the same issue. I am planning on having the drive serviced over the winter. I also suspect the cone clutch.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We will be learning soon Al! Mine is smooth as silk for now...

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have friend with a 310 just went over and check it. Took cable off linkage shifted by hand and it seems to have delayed before shifting. Cluch cone it is $$$
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @Alswagg, I understand the clutch and cable replacement, but what do you mean by "reseal"?
    Reseal the drive. The outdrive needs to be disassembled to assess the clutch cone. Then reassembled with new seals and gaskets. This should be done by someone with good reputation. Al always said don't just let anyone put there fingers in your drive.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the alpha drive have the same problems?
    Boat Name : 

• ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I had the same problem. The cause was a detent pin in the upper housing. Replaced the detent assembly and all is good.
    Well, this has ended my season.  Won't take it out as is for fear of doing more damage.  Everyone is busy winterizing boats, so even if someone could get to it and fix it, it would only save me a week or 2 of boating.  

I am storing it this winter at a new place (the one that finally re-programmed my port engine so VVM would work) and they have a very good reputation for working on Mercs.  I'll just have to place my faith in them.  But certainly with all your help, I'll have a better idea of what questions to ask.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ruggerole , looks like easy access. You didn't have to remove the drive.
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ruggerole said:
    I had the same problem. The cause was a detent pin in the upper housing. Replaced the detent assembly and all is good.
    I already replaced that on mine. I fear it is the cone clutch this time. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @ruggerole , looks like easy access. You didn't have to remove the drive.

Nope, just the cover.
    It’s back!!!  Mechanic replaced both my shift cables last winter to fix the intermittent non shifting problem.  Said the cable looked a little suspicious, but we’d know in the spring if it fixed it.  Spring came (actually June 15 before we were able to launch) and shifting was fine.  Has worked fine, so figured that was it.  Until last week.  Had a hint when I heard a delayed clunk after putting both drives in gear after clearing weeds off props when leaving marina.  Told my self it was a slap of a wave against the hull that I heard.  And then this weekend it did it again.  And when we pulled anchor at end of the day, it definitely didn’t to go into gear.  Once it did, we were fine until at the dock.  Started working the shifters to dock and boat wasn’t responding properly.  Took several attempts to get to dock on 1 engine.  Mechanic will be looking at it Monday.  I’m guessing at least a new cone clutch in my future.  By the way, it’s the same drive I had trouble with last year.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which shift cables did the mechanic replace?  Control to engine or engine to outdrive?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    I assume it would have been engine to outdrive.  Is control to engine the throttle cable?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Spyderweb said:
    I assume it would have been engine to outdrive.  Is control to engine the throttle cable?
    Yes.  Shift cable would be the short one between motor and outdrive.  Throttle is from levers to the motor.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

There are 2 cables per engine from the control (helm) to the engine - one for throttle, one for shift.
    So replacing those cables “fixed” the problem till now.  Mechanic looking at boat today.  We’ll see.
  • boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 797 ✭✭✭
    Mine has been fine until I replaced my carb a few weeks ago. Now it feels like a trans slipping in a car when I put it into gear. Doesn't do it every time. It's a 2006 B3. Oddly it was perfectly fine before replacing the carb. The very first time out with the new carb it started doing it. Going to check a few things next time out to rule some things out but will be watching this thread
    Word from marina is that drive needs new “clutch dog”.  Part has been ordered.  And it’s not on back order.  Expected in a couple of days.
    the clutch dog is in the middle of the brass rings. You can see the tips of the clutch forks. This the look form the U joint side.
    @Spyderweb are you boating again?!
    YYZRC said:
    @Spyderweb are you boating again?!
    Just learned yesterday part is not in yet.  Marina confirmed it’s been shipped.  Expecting it Monday now.  Probably won’t get boat till Tuesday at earliest.  Worst part is daughter and family rented a camp right next to marina for a week starting tomorrow (Sunday).  
    edited August 2020
    Alswagg said:
    Actually that is a Cone Clutch 
    Funny, as little as I understand this stuff, cone clutch is the term I was familiar with.

BTW, you nailed it Al.  Earlier up in this thread, last Fall you recommended shift cable replacement  AND cone clutch replacement.
    Post edited by Spyderweb on
    Got the boat back Tuesday.  Out on water and all seems well.
    Nice. What was the issue? The cone clutch?
    Yes, cone clutch was replaced.
    Cool. Glad it's fixed. Taking mine on a 50 mile round trip Saturday so will see if mine acts up
    So we made a 5 hour round trip yesterday to Pittsburgh and back. Engine ran great. The B3 still feels like its 'slipping'. When I drop it into forward the prop must be spinning cause it starts moving forward but if I add throttle it idles up but doesn't move any faster until a few seconds later when it 'clunks' then goes. It doesn't clunk real hard but enough to know something isn't right.

Backstory: boat was fine until I put a new carb on it  a couple of months ago. That was the only change. Going back further when I changed the outdrive oil the shop only had Sierra brand. I wasn't happy about using it but it was what they had and what they said they use. I had always used the Merc or Quiksilver in the past. The only other thing that was done was the rear plate on the top rear of the outdrive was leaking so I pulled it off and put a new gasket in. Everything was fine even after that until I put the new carb on.

Thoughts? I ran about 4000 RPM at about 28 MPH for the whole trip yesterday. It seems fine once I'm moving