Trim Tab Basics: How To Use Trim Tabs

BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn

Comments

• glynnalanglynnalan Member Posts: 36
    thanks for the share.  I've had a lot of wandering at low idle speeds on my 280.  just last weekend i chugged thru the marina and tried lowering my trim tabs all the way down.  this helped stay straighter course right away- reduced the wandering to almost nothing.  wish i tried this a year ago.
  • jhortajhorta Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Thanks for this.  As a new boater, I have read about the proper use of the trim tabs, but have never seen it actually work on a video.  Have any of your ever considered the Lenco Auto Glide solution.  A fellow from SeaTow who lives a few doors down from me installed them on his 33 foot cruiser last year, and swears by it.  Just curious. 
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found them "twitchy" as in over responsive and opted for  the manual units. 

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find I'm putting my tabs down to get my boat to plane, a little different on the video...
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

But was interested the tip about putting the tabs down while going slow. My lenco tabs light up nicely in the dark but can't really read them during daylight..

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have found that at slow speeds having them down does help with the single engine wonder.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    A trick I learned with the tabs.  If one engine is inoperative, put the tab on the side with the good engine all the way down.  It will make a huge difference in how the boat steers.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Dont forget that the port switch controls the S/B tab and S/B switch controls the port tab..........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why is that backward?
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    The law of physics. If you lower the tab on the port side its raises the stern on the port side so the bow has to go down on the S/B side. Next time your boat is in the water push down on the a corner of the stern and watch what side of the bow comes up......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com