Carbon wrap

minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I wrapped the gauge panel and wheel with glossy carbon wrap to get rid of the ugly yellow burl wood.
2008 280 EC

Comments

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How hard was it to apply?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice...mine is rather out dated looking as well...
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    same here..was going to look at my options in the off season.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....@minnesota - brilliant Idea! Barrie, Ontario - beautiful! 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you explain how you did this? Did you remove the panels from the dash? I assume yes. Did you remove the tach and switches from the panel or leave them in place? I have been thinking about doing this and I think it would be possible with leaving all wires and items in place just need to unscrew the panels and pull them out a bit. Thanks! Looks great!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Okay nevermind...comments say not the way to do it..LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBzAiP6amJE
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thought of doing this too. Just scared of how much I break in the process. Yours come out great 10 years newer for sure.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
    Can I ask where you bought the carbon wrap and how much?  Very nice.
  • tk1973tk1973 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    looks clean. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how it would look even just painted? I guess if you have it all apart, that would be the way to go...with a covering and not a paint...
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    When i wrapped my dash panel i took it to a buddy that does this for a living to show me how.  He did the hard piece with lots of curves and corners.  I did the others.  So first buy good stuff like a 3M product.  It is more elastic.  Second.  Get the chemical sprays to clean and float the wrap over what you are doing.  Best is to remove the piece you are wrapping and have it on a table in front of you.  Take out all the switches and components so it is just plastic.  Then you just sit there with a heat gun and heat and stretch.  Heat and stretch.  Start at one point and work your way around.  Cut out inside holes and heat and stretch the wrap into the openings and tuck them under if possible.  Have a padded scraper that you can use to push air and water bubbles out to the edges.  Now here is the interesting one.  You really may have to experiment to ensure that the wrap will breathe.  Otherwise when the sun hits it you will see it start to bubble.  This shouldn't happen with good stuff.  I got lucky.  Mine wasn't the good stuff but i wanted to match the wood grain i had.  Love the carbon fiber look though.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • minnesotaminnesota Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    Thanks, davidbrooks  saves me all the typing.  Basically that's it, Get 3M carbon wrap from Amazon.  I bough a 1' X 5' piece, it's big enough. I didn't take the switches out of the switch bank but left enough wrap material around the switches to carefully slip the wrap under the switches.  To r & r all 13 switches would be a nightmare plus guaranteeing breaking a couple of tabs for sure them being 9 years old Leave them be.  The wrap is very forgiving being able to take a lot of heat from a hair dryer.  I found the hair dryer provides plenty of heat to stretch, soften,  help sticking,help conforming to curves and dips. There are wraps that breathes that will flatten trapped boubles. Make sure you buy the good Glossy version. took me 5 hours for all pieces.
    2008 280 EC
    practice on the ignition key panel  first, it's easy after that
    2008 280 EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you take the gauges out of the large panel to wrap?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

yes all the gauges came out
    2008 280 EC
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice, I assume that's the 3M wrap?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"