Options

Well ain't that a pretty little hurricane out Non boat related personal or political comment remove?

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you put 2 inch ratchet straps all the way around to keep it on the trailer. point the nose into wind. I don't know what I would do. Pay the insurance. Looks like it is now hitting Palm Beach. Maybe it will not be so bad up were you are. What a mess. Glad i do not have to deal with it. Good luck. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was palm beach...now landfall around the space port...I walk out front and can read USA on the side of the rockets....
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    @j3ff if that comes through as a 4 to you, there will be no mangrove. That was Irma that pretty much wiped out everything around you. Your window for getting out of there will start to narrow pretty quick. Good luck my Rinker friend, do not take this lightly. We are closing the dealer ship from Sunday through Thursday....we are on the east coast a little north east of Orlando.
    At this point it is what it is. Hoping the models are correct and it's going north with NO landfall. That would be best for us both!! 
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe brothers.  After reading this thread I will be testing my own gennie this afternoon.
  • Options
    If it goes up the coast with no landfall it's pretty much worse- beach errosion, flooding, wildlife damage. If it comes on ashore then yes there is a lot of damage but more contained and then the storm loses the major strength pretty quickly. Still will have downed trees but not the 150 winds...amazing that mother nature can create a system that is 300 miles accross with that kind of power....still a day to enjoy and then tomorrow it will be time to clean the yard. Still not sure how to protect the boat...
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great, headed for my coast line now. I was attempting to finish a few lawn equipment repairs before my 3 day weekend and ended up swamped with helping my counter guy sell bars, chains and other maintenance items to tree companies ready to head to the coast the moment the storm passes. 

My sister lives in Wilmington, they have only been finished with the repairs from the last hurricane for a few months now.  Shes also stoked to see it heading up the coast. They rode the last one out because they didnt wanna miss work. She works from home on the internet and her husband does tattoos.  They didnt have electricity for about 2 weeks....im not sure how well that worked out for them with work.  I know the boys missed months of school.  

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Headed off shore now and maybe Charleston. 
  • Options
    We are way to far off to take a breath...a cat 4 just off the coast with a 20 mile eyewall will destroy our coast so we have a lot of issues yet to see handy..
  • Options
    We are safe this time
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like the keys are good..phew. 
  • Options
    Chillin at Berts hurricane party with son in law playing guitar. 
  • Options
    @J3ff this storm could easily steer into the keys, go into the gulf and come right up to see @Handymans342 so do not discontinue your planning....
  • Options
    Its gone Rick. Take your boat out
  • Options
    I hope so! But, when you look at what Andrew did and where it was supposed to go....
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Both my boats are currently on trailers in my drive way.  The only thing holding me up from a weekend on the water is a clutch install in my passat (the fuel consumption in the excursion as a daily driver is killing me) and the little lady works all weekend.  Ill be down tomorrow and most likely monday depending on when my son comes back home. 

Note: im also 4.5 hrs west of Charleston. If it makes land fall anywhere south of the sc/nc border ill get some weather and power companies/dot/tree companies will keep me busy but im not worried about local storm damage.  
  • Options
    So far, looks like we will have minimal impact other than costal- on the plus I have 20 gallons of non ethinal fuel to put in the boat. We will see...hopefully it won't clobber the outer Banks, they are always a target! 
  • Options
    So...things are changing a bit...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    We are getting to the oh $hit moments of this storm...
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Good luck and stay safe.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Looks like, so far..it is now tracking further east...
  • Options
    Dont plan on going to the Bahamas anytime soon. Wow. They are in bad shape
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Well, it sure was a beautiful weekend here!  I do feel bad for those in the Bahamas, especially in Freeport.  Looks like it could possibly mess up the weather for even us next weekend.  Time will tell.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Here in CHS, and the latest EURO has this thing still nearly a 4 just off our coast. I'm 5 miles from the coast myself - doubt it'll flood that far in, but the winds could wreck us. 

@PickleRick - what part of Hartwell are you on? Might use the 280 as a lifeboat and drag it to Murray or Hartwell, both have a better forecast than us. Murray is going to get possibly 40MPH gusts on Wednesday - but we'd be docked there. On Hartwell we'd probably just launch and anchor out.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Im up near oconee point/conoross campgrounds. Not far off of hwy 85 exit 11 (hwy 24 townville)

Plenty of little protected coves to anchor in up here on the Seneca River. The lake has gone down a few feet but plenty of good ramps.  

Check oconee point camp ground. 40 bucks for a 1 year parking permits. Plenty deep enough ramp for you.  Has dumpsters, trash cans, showers that you can dingy to shore and walk to.  Its a gated park and locked at 10 til 7 so no worries about break ins.  Also have a place to dump sewage if you have a portable tank or trailer to rv dump site and pump. I  launch and spend the weekend on the boat, keep my vehicle there. 

Short boat ride to Portman marina for food and drinks.  Sushi, the galley and typical over priced petrol.  Portman i believe has pump out facilitys.  A pizza place will deliver to the townville boat ramp right across the channel from oconee point.  There is a courtesy dock and trashcans.

I wont be down on the lake until this weekend but my parents are on vacation and will be down all week.  Lucky s.o.b.s. have me checking their mail all week.
    They love the lake the week after labor day because its empty.  

The grave yard island is a must see.  Its just what it sounds like, a hill top grave yard built before the lake was there.  Has Pickens family and war of 1812 roots but im sure the unmarked graves are probably t.b. or possibly slave graves.  Spent many a night there in my late teens/early 20s taking dates to camp on that island telling drunken ghost stories around a camp fire.  Back then it was a little bass boat and a tent.  

You're also just a short ride from the tigers stadium if you really wanna just boo some Clemson fans.  As a Carolina fan, booing anyone in Orange is really all i have going for me this football season. 

Make sure you have a good down scan fish finder to look for logs, stumps when anchoring. A break away anchor set up is also recommended.  Its all mud bottom but this used to be all forrest floors so heed caution. 

If you want any recommendations for a good deep cove dont hesitate to ask.   Been anchoring on that lake every weekend for 10 years or so, only once have i had to call a diver to get my anchor!  

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Anyone in the Chesapeake Bay area getting a little nervous?  I keep calling my marina to see if anyone has made reservations to get hauled out.  None so far.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Anyone in the Chesapeake Bay area getting a little nervous?  I keep calling my marina to see if anyone has made reservations to get hauled out.  None so far.  
    Is Maryland even in the cone?
  • Options
    Well, looks like this thing is moving on out. I'm about 45 miles from the space center and we barely had any tropical force winds. You have to really believe in the science otherwise watching that thing go by would be a heart attack. Got about one side of the tan part of the hull buffed and will work more on that side I guess...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    @06Rinker270 - we should be fine here.  I was actually hoping to not have to cancel my Friday & Sat night reservations at another marina, but it looks like I won't be able to head out until Saturday because of the winds.  I'd probably be on the boat Friday, but it's the admirals b-day, so won't make her sit in those winds! LOL!  I think we may have 25kts or so for a short time, not too bad.  Not much rain at all.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    We are supposed to get a taste of it Saturday night into Sunday. A lesser storm thankfully but calling for 60mph wind and heavy rain. No boating this weekend.
  • Options
    We are supposed to get a taste of it Saturday night into Sunday. A lesser storm thankfully but calling for 60mph wind and heavy rain. No boating this weekend.
    You always get these. Terrible