Options

Well ain't that a pretty little hurricane out Non boat related personal or political comment remove?

Comments

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Charleston was spared - CAT 3 passed 59 miles from my door. 50% power loss near the coast, but otherwise survived.

Wednesday morning I drug the boat to I95 and parked it in an RV lot facing into the storm. I'll go get it in the am.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was an amazing storm and I have been through a number of them. I believe the name will be retired. Just awful...and we are just at the peak of the season so hang on.
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Dam storm is coming right over Halifax tomorrow upgraded to a cat 2. Going to suck. Coastal evacuation in some areas first time I can remember. All power lines above grade here in a city full of old elm trees. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Brian get out!
  • Options
    Invest 94L is next
  • Options
    This storm just does not give up....hunker down. The water is the killer not the wind...unless a tree falls on you...stay inside and just wait until it passed and then deal with the mess.. 
  • Options
    @Handymans342 can’t get out. Got a house and business to look out for. It the trees we have to worry about taking out the utilities. We are on a well so the gennie I fired up earlier this week will be needed for water. Big storms were more fun when I was young , not now. 
  • Options
    Whats happening up there Brian??
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's likely too busy to answer. Almost 400,000 without power and I bet a lot of Internet and cell towers down too. So far no reported fatalities.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Boat survived unscathed, tow vehicle developed a vacuum leak on the way home and now wants to overheat when it's running, and we have two more spots of interest that models are sniffing out for the next 'Coastal Express'.
  • Options
    Halifax harbour. Wonder if the dock or boats survived?
  • Options
    Geesh! What kind of winds do you have coming in there and how did anyone get that shot?
  • Options
    Winds there hit 90 to 110 mph.
    I think that pier runs out from the shore left to right, photographer was likely standing on the next pier over or on a breakwall.
  • Options
    Hey Guys, just got back from my moms setting her up with a generator. I'm 20 kms outside the city protected inland by smaller trees.  City hit pretty hard with no cell service and only the downtown core with power. My house and business are in tact thankfully. Coastal areas hammered and as @Willhound stated we had 400,000 households off the grid in a province with 500,000 customers. I did not loose power where I live. The print shop had no power this morning when I checked. There is video of a building crane collapsing in the city with the big elm trees coming down all over. There are 100 plus year old trees. Beautiful day here today and cleaning up around the yard.  Enjoy the 35 to 40 footers rolling in off Peggy's Cove near my house. PS I threw out an anchor in my driveway just in case.
  • Options
    Oh my God! That last picture looks like a sunimi coming in...I did not think the storm still had that kind of power. This has to be one of the worst in recorded history. Stay safe. 
    PS don't see a video... 
  • Options
    Is that first picture clouds or waves?
  • Options
    To be honest, really was not sure was novisocia was...looks like if someone had not run out of ink drawing boarders you might have been part of Maine and not Canada. Probably a pretty interesting place to live, I might visit one day. Do you get the now easters that blow up those kinds of ways or is this a total anomily? PS, you might need a bigger boat..God bless to all in this storms path. Can't believe us in FL are unscathed ...
  • Options
    @rasbury those are waves crashing on the granite rock face at Peggy's Cove. Environment Canada weather called for 11 to 12 metre waves(35 to 40'). They roll in unobstructed from the North Atlantic then crash on the rocks.  We haven't had a storm like this since Juan in '03.   Glad you looked to see where we are on the mapped yes it can look like Maine for sure. The tv series Raven was filmed here but sold as Maine in the show.  It's nice up hear so visit anytime.  If I can I will try to find the video of the crane and post it.  A marina in Shediac New Brunswick (north east of Nova Scotia)  was destroyed in the storm.  No fatalities reported so far which is a blessing.  
    PS. Bigger boat? Now is my chance to convince the admiral :)

• Options
    Go for it...60'
  • Options
    I saw the crane on the news. Wow. Glad your ok up there. How is Oak Island??
  • Options
    @Handymans342    you like your Oak Island...its fairly well protected in Mahone Bay which is located an hour south of Halifax. Not hearing any news from the South Shore re damages, most of the bad stuff was through the city.  All schools are closed province wide tomorrow.  Oak Island awaits your visit! 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Well glad you and the family are safe 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the hurricane skirted the south Carolina coast we got some outer bands in the upstate.  I pulled my potted palm tree off the front yard and on the porch that morning to keep it from getting overly soaked.  Sadly we need the rain up there, i think hartwell is @ 3ft or so down right now and dropping. My parents lake front properly is expanding.  We rely on the tropical storms to bring the areas from Atlanta up to lake jocassee water in the late summer/fall. We are prone to long dry summers.  Lake keowee has a nuclear power plant on it so it doesn't drop every far so the rest of the lakes pay the price and doesn't take long for there to be stranded docks or even boats on dry lake shores.

We got maybe an hour of on again/off again sprinkles.  

My mom and sister @ Wilmington nc had some tree/wind damage and heavy winds.  Still tarps on some roofs from last years hurricane in that area.  

Hate that you guys up there got hammered.  Glad you're ok.

• Options
  • Options
    No problem for a 342 with diesels. 
  • Options
    sounds like the movie perfect storm!
  • Options
    That hit a lot of people and no one got hurt!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    well, just to add more pain, it looks like another storm is coming thru the same southern areas to dump more rain.  Good luck for all of you in the south!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yeah, I'm back in the cone again 6 days later...