Options

USCG safety inspection

bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Well I just had my voluntary safety inspection completed yesterday by the Coast Guard Aux.  Just wanted to share a couple things I learned yesterday.  First, when they asked to see my flares I ready showed them my flare gun with all my in date flares.  The inspector said that's nice, however in some states such a Michigan you can get in big trouble for carrying that because it is considered a concealed firearm.  Then he went on to say even though I had that I still needed 3 hand held flares.  Ouch.  That was the first hit to my ego.  Second, I didn't have a maritime law manual on the vessel (another left hook).  And for the uppercut I didn't have a distress flag for the boat.  So you guys know what I am ordering this week.  This might be common sense for a lot of you but obviously not for me.  I pride myself in operating a safe vessel and carrying more than the required equipment.  I have back ups for back ups and passed safety inspections on the river every year.  Just goes to show new body of water new rules.  I'm kicking myself now for not scheduling one right away in the beginning of the summer like I was going to.  I'm just happy I got it done voluntarily at the dock and wasn't pulled over on the lake (especially over the Michigan border!)

Oh yeah, one more thing to put in your back pocket.  They informed me as of next year just having a designated "trash/refuse" person on the boat is not going to cut it.  The USCG will be issuing large sticker you will be mandated to place near your trash receptacle marking as the designated spot for refuse.  You will only be able to get them from the USCG but will be mandated or else you will receive a hefty fine.  I don't know how big they are going to be but he said I will have a tough time with the lay out of my boat finding a spot to put it by the trash can. 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    The designated 'trash' person only applies to boats 12.9m (40') or longer.  You do need to have a waste sticker on board, they are free from USGG, Power Squadron, even places like West Marine.  Sticker has to be at least 6"x9", I have mine on the underside of the trash lid on my 342.

As for the hand held flare pistol in Michigan, unless you are carrying it around on your person in town I suppose, he's out of line: not true.  Lot's of people have them here in Michigan.   He should have told you that those types are really not that good, as they do not go high or burn long.  Go for the SOLAS type flares/smokers if you are boating on open water (great lakes / ocean).  The distress flag is optional, you do need a visual signal and that can be a mirror.  Boating on coastal waters and the great lakes have different requirements than inland lakes and rivers for the most part.

Nice link:

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Thanks B-D.  He told me that the waste requirements were for boats over 26' and the updated required stickers won't come out till next year so bother getting the current sticker.    He told me anything over 39' you have to have a written waste plan.  As for the flare gun I will be replacing it and also when I was sharing this info at the marina I met a guy who was pulled over in Michigan and they really gave him a hard time about the flare gun.  Kind of ironic, it was okay in Illinois (the strictest gun law state in the Union) but not okay in other states.  I'm not tempting fate.  If I'm crossing the border I'll just leave it back at the dock.  An thanks for the mirror tip.  Never thought of that. 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Just so you know, State of Michigan law:8.  Is a flare gun used as a signaling device on a watercraft required to be registered in Michigan? MCL 28.432b   No.   Someone had a cop being a pita I'm guessing.  The C.G. guy was just wrong.  They must have got new orders this year, a boat safety inspection a year ago was a 15 minute deal, this year 45+ min and they went through EVERYTHING.  It was actually good, but my C.G. guy tried to claim having my registration numbers on the hull and being documented was incorrect (he was wrong there, the reg numbers on the hull are optional).  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Hey Thanks agian B-D.  Yeah mine was every bit of 45 minutes and most was informational.  Good to know about the state code.   Might just print it out and carry it with the flare gun.