Winterizing

shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIMember Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭
So I was a bad boat parent this year and only put 5 hours on it this season. I always change all the fluids and winterize in October each year before the winter layup. I wanted to see what everyone thinks about if i should change the fluids this year since I only put 5 hours on it. I will obviously winterize the block, but wondering if it would be necessary to change the engine oil/ filter and if I should change the outdrive oil? I’m leaning towards doing it as cheap insurance, but just wanted to get some other opinions on it. 
Post edited by shawnmjr on

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a bad seal or something that would make moisture a concern I don't think I would. I would at least check the drive oil however for any milk at the drain screw. After letting it sit a few days of course. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • mattiemattie Sarnia, OntarioMember Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Man....that's a bummer.

Mercuiser manual says oil chg 'every 100hrs or annually'.

I'd do both engine oil & outdrive. That will get you back on track. Do it yourself - save a bit.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • LaReaLaRea Alexandria VirginiaMember Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boats like routine.  Don't let old fluids sit in there over The Season That Shall Not Be Named.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Georgian BayMember Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭✭
    I would skip it. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Lower Columbia River, WashingtonMember Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭
    An oil change cost about $50 when doing it yourself. If I did every 100 hours my boat would have the oil I bought it with 3 years ago. 
    2007 280 EC Volvo 8.1 Gi-H
  • shawnmjrshawnmjr Detroit MIMember Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, my gut tells me to just do it. I always do it myself as it is a lot cheaper as mattie stated. I already have all the oils because I bought a ton of it last year when I found a good deal. I think I will just do it. 
    edited September 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:
    An oil change cost about $50 when doing it yourself. If I did every 100 hours my boat would have the oil I bought it with 3 years ago. 
    @Aqua_Aura
    I have 110 hours on the boat and this will be the 6th engine oil change and outdrive oil change. 
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Lower Columbia River, WashingtonMember Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess my point is that annual or every 100,oil does degrade with time. You could send a sample off to Blackstone Labs and get an analysis they let you know all sorts of good info including how much life is left in the oil. I did this for my truck a couple of times. 
    2007 280 EC Volvo 8.1 Gi-H
    I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch but the environmental impact is worth considering.  
    Do you guys open your engine compartment a little for winter layup? I’m wondering if I leave mine cracked a little if that would be better for air movement and less moisture or if it would do the opposite and let more moisture in (drain plug will be out). My engine compartment isn’t hydraulic so I’m not worried about pressure on the cylinders. Just wondering everyone’s thoughts on this? I’ve never done it before and it’s been fine,  but I’m always looking and thinking of better ways. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Member Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never have, I pulled the plug and then the blower vents helped with air, bilge was always bone dry in indoor cold storage. I am going to put a damp rid bucket in the engine room this winter along with one in the cabin and one in the head 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• mattiemattie Sarnia, OntarioMember Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    I'm not an environmentalist by any stretch but the environmental impact is worth considering.  
    My buddies refer to their “spark plug index”. You can tell how environmental you are by how many spark plugs you own.

Mine is not good. Too many plugs.

Shawnmjr: I’m thinkin you’re good leaving compartment shut. As long as it has been drained properly & stored indoors. Think a lot of air moves through the vents on top of the hull sides.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
    What if your car is leased? Do you divide by two?!
    Leave it closed. Less chance of a critter creating a winter home. 
  • Pat310Pat310 Port Washington Long Island NYMember Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    I leave mine open. Outside storage shrink wrapped. Like to be able to get my boat fix during the winter by crawling in and cleaning bilge and fixing what I can do without uncovering until I’m ready to go back in.
    Thanks everyone. I’m gonna leave it closed. I changed all the fluids/filters and winterized and unloaded. Just gotta go get it shrink wrapped now and it’s gone for 6 months. Really didn’t get a chance to use it this season so today isn’t as sad as the past years. 
    My fluids were still like brand new, but as others mentioned, better to be safe than sorry. $100 in fluids is cheap insurance. 
  • RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    I am with you. Fluids are cheap. Engines and drives aren't.
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat310 said:
    I leave mine open. Outside storage shrink wrapped. Like to be able to get my boat fix during the winter by crawling in and cleaning bilge and fixing what I can do without uncovering until I’m ready to go back in.
    Same here, I like to work on her through the winter.
    2008 330EC
    I winterized my water systems today. I pulled the line to the pump from the tank, I let the tank drain into the bilge. I had a spare fitting for the pump and used a piece of hose to suck out of the jugs. I like doing it this way, the tank doesn’t get pink in it. 

2008 330EC
    aero3113 said:
    I winterized my water systems today. I pulled the line to the pump from the tank, I let the tank drain into the bilge. I had a spare fitting for the pump and used a piece of hose to suck out of the jugs. I like doing it this way, the tank doesn’t get pink in it. 

That’s smart, I may try that next year. I always put it in the tank and just turn faucet on until I see blue (-100) coming out. It always takes a minute to flush it out in the spring so this way seems better. 
    Brilliant @aero3113 - how do I find a fitting to do this?? Is it referenced by size or...?
    I’m not sure, I had one laying around. 
    2008 330EC
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭
    Walmart.com has syn blend delco 15w40 for 13.99 shipped.  If they still have it in stock.  I usually use rotella t4 but if i can get the blend for the same price why not???

Do you guys also run the pink stuff thru the head?  Im winterizing over the next 2 weeks.  

Here we do. There's always residual liquid behind the joker valve since the line loops up and then back down to the tank. 
    Thanks @willhound i installed a new macerator 2 weeks ago when mine died so i have 2 weekends worth of cleaning up to do before i run the pink through her.  Should i install my new joker valve now or before my first launch?
    I've always done them in the spring. Get a bit more life and I find the pink stuff being alcohol based usually evaporates over the winter so nice and dry and clean in the spring.
    Thank you. Will do. 
    Curious how you guys winterize your engines? I have the camco flush kit and run the engines to pump 4-5 gallons through. I know some guys pull the hoses and pour the antifreeze in the hoses, some just pull the plugs and let the water drain out using no antifreeze.
    2008 330EC
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Member Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 342 I had horizons so I didn’t need to run until the Tstat opened, could just dive right in to antifreeze. I would first pull the plugs and drain, I had the hand pump to push water out, I’d bump the starter to be sure the water pump was empty, then put all plugs back in. I’d then close the thru hull intakes and I would attach the camco kit to the outdrive with muffs and start the engine and run 5 gal of -60 through each engine. That’s it, left plugs in all winter. I store indoor cold. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)