Boat Horn

I have a 2013 246BR and after this last season, my boat horn was pretty much dead, you could hardly hear it. So being under warranty, I had them replace it. After replacing it, I asked the tech what caused the horn to go bad, and he stated that Rinker has a bad design in the placement of the horn. The horn gets water in it every time the boat hits a wave, and he did not have any ideas on how to stop this from happening. So yes I am also writing Rinker about this, but thought I would check to see if this has happened to anyone else, and how they fixed it?

Answers

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure its the same as my 276, which the horn is behind a plastic "cover" in the bow area. I actually had mine come loose from the bracket and was flopping around in the anchor locker.

On my boat you'd really have to stuff the bow to get it submerged, but I dont doubt its subject to a good amount of spray, but I'd expect it to be somewhat water resistant.

On my boat its just in front of the docking light:

http://photos.imageevent.com/jtkz13/boat//DSC00629.JPG
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mank, I had a couple of horns die on my Rinker 226 XL. Before they went they sounded like strangling chickens.The first one was replaced under warranty. I watched a tech install the second one. It had a gauze like cover over it when it came out of the plastic wrap, which he peeled off. I said what the h*ll are you doing? He said it was just packaging. I said - I don't think so. In the case of that model of horn it was a barrier to stop water from getting into the horn's internal parts. I made him replace the horn and leave the "cloth" covering on. I didn't have a problem after that. Maybe yours was mis installed? MT
    Yeah, mine has the "barrier" installed, so yeah I'd check to make sure its there.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take a small drill bit and tap a hole low on the bottom of the housing, and then another high for venting.. this will have little effect on the sound/loudness, but will allow the thing to drain.
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

On my annual spring to-do list, I routinely disassemble the horn and clean the "points."

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My '04 270 has a buzzer of a horn mounted behind the little fabric screen at the bow and it's still buzzing away. Sounds a lot like a one of those trick hand buzzers that your uncle harry would sneak into his hand and say "put 'er there sport"........ZZZZZ...  It wasn't as funny as our boats horn/buzzer sounds, which is always good for an embarrassing laugh.

Dear Santa, please bring me a REAL boat horn. I've been nice at least a few times this year. That should count for something... :D  PS please discontinue those silly Rinker buzzer horns and give uncle harry more coal.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    Hey Mike, talk to the Admiral ( I mean Santa)  get a set of the horns for the 400 and mount them on your arch. Have you ever heard those things go off? You can blow a sea gull (dirty bird) off a piling a quarter of a mile away. Instant respect in a can! MT
    Uh...on the arch?? wouldn't that be RIGHT behind the captains head.....or worse, the admirals. :O)

A new horn that sounds like a horn is in order. It'd have to go on the deck in front of the helm on the starboard foredeck for our 270. Just enough trouble to put it down a little way on the to-do list. Until then just listen for our stock kazoo followed by snickers from nearby boaters.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    MT, the 400 horns do sound great, but I still have to clean the points on mine as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Oh yeah DI - but....it's worth it - instant recognition! MT
  • MankMank Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for comments, I will have to check into to see if they left the cover on the new horn they installed. The 400 horns do sound great, but a little over kill for my boat. Not very mechanical, so how easy is it to take out the horn and drill a small hole in the bottom for drainage?
    You have access to the anchor locker behind the mirror, right?

If so its very easy to get to the horn and replace if needed. Its only held in place by sliding into a bracket and there's a positive & negative slide on terminal. Cant get much easier.

• FlyingBlind310FlyingBlind310 Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Has anyone installed an air horn system w/compressor or just electric horns?

2001 310 Fiesta Vee

T-5.0 FWC Mercs w/ B2

Yes Virginia, Daddy needs a new horn for Christmas.....

The Wolo 125 Dominator would do just fine at $88 on Amazon. An air horn would be even better except for the KISS principle which, when ignored, always bites me. Blast away.

Wax RY Wax! MT P.S. white powdercoated versions are usually available for those without wax.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Wolo model is all SS..no rust.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    304 grade

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    My dock neighbor put a set of train horns on his radar arch with the compressor mounted in the engine compartment. Talk about loud, he can knock someone off the adjacent dock.
    Ohhh cool. I've looked at real train horns as you can get them powder coated. They are physically really big though and use a lot of air. I'm surprized he found an air compressor that is ignition proof (or maybe I should not ask too many questions. lol). They have warnings about being too close to them. I wish someone would make electric ones with the same notes though, I mean everyone loves a train horn sound!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    11+ liters displacement with a super/turbo induction is real diesel. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • MankMank Member Posts: 22
    jtkz, thanks for the info on the horn location, if this new one goes bad, I'll look into a better replacement.