Options

Enclousre vs Cockpit cover

Hi all,

I've noticed some folks leave their camper enclosure up all the time at the marina, but I always throw on my cockpit cover.  Is there any benefit of one over the other or is it all personal preference?

Also, the guy who sells canvas here on the forums, are his prices fair and how is the quality of the product you've received?  Just looking for some honest feedback as I'm considering new canvas here shortly.

Thanks all!
Y Knot?

Comments

• Options
    RussRussRussRuss Member Posts: 28
    I just bought a cockpit cover - received it yesterday.  It is genuine old RInker stock, made by Ameritex.  Brand new in original bag.  I found the his price less than half of anything else I could find online.

Quantico.....I am down in Stafford, so I will probably see you at Tims I or II.
  • Options
    holscher2438holscher2438 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    Appreciate the feedback guys!

Russ,  it's been over 2 years since I've made it down to Tims II.  Hopefully we will this year.  We usually drop anchor near Tims I, Mattawoman, or belmont bay.  Keep an eye out for us!
    Y Knot?
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭
    I leave the camper canvas up if I know I'll use it next time out. That's usually the case for most of the early spring & late fall. Otherwise for the entire summer I use the cockpit cover. I know the eisenglass will fog/yellow over time with enough UV exposure, so I want to limit that as much as possible.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I would think using the cockpit cover would be much better for the interior as well.
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leave my camper top up all season, never even used the cockpit cover. I used to use towels over the dash and seats but had covers made for them all over the last 2 years. Keeps the UV off everything.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

qwikwhip said:
    I would think using the cockpit cover would be much better for the interior as well.
    Yes majority of the time, but I find that the cockpit cover keeps the interior VERY warm & damp in the hot months, so it doesnt really allow the carpet to dry out. It obviously protects the interior from UV rays 100%.

The camper canvas allows the carpet to dry out faster due to the additional sunlight & more ventilation. Obviously it will allow the vinyl to fade faster though. I wonder if the eisenglass has any UV protection built-in?
  • Options
    richierichie Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone advise TJ email address . I need a cover
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Just be ready to spend some money. He will give you an amazing deal you can't pass on! lol
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    atlastatlast Member Posts: 10

I have a 2005 FV 320 that I leave the camper up year round . I found when I put the cockpit cover on my seats got real moldy but my biggest issue came when it rained . All the water ran down and right over the gas caps and not realizing they gaskets were shot my mecahic pumped out over 35 gallons of water out of both tanks . I do live in Florida so its humid and allot of rain during the rainy season. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I use my cockpit cover the majority of the time, however it does allow rain water in much more so than the camper enclosure.  Frustrating but I would rather the water than have the sun yellow the eisenglass prematurely.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594 mod
    I had always used my eisenglass enclosure on my 310. It allowed me to enter the boat in any weather. For the most part we left it up thru the summer & I never used a cockpit cover. (put it once when a hurricane was approaching) Now, with my current boat there is no cockpit cover with the hardtop. But, I do have black leather type that zip in where my eisenglass goes. I use it the majority of the time, but in spring and fall I use the eisenglass because it is too tight to take on and off when it's cooler out. As far as UV, use Aerospace 303 protectant. It prevents UV problems. I've never let weather or anything of that sort let me use the boat & cover the way it was intended. & on my prior boats, leaving eisenglass up just made sense and allowed me to use the boat more often. Boating is expensive and you already spend so much on things that don't let leaving the cover up cause of UV make you take it down all the time. That would make me use the boat a lot less cause then I'd have to mess with that every time I went to the boat. Just my 2 cents.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DI.  Use the 303 (or IMAR 301 and 302 for Strataglas).  I know on my 342, it would be a pita taking down the camper canvas to put on a cover every time, let alone the hour or more it would take.  With the canvas up, I can be on rain or shine.  I got 5 years from my OEM canvas before the eisenglass was shot, on year 6 with my 'new' top with Stamoid material and Strataglas for the clear sections and it's virtually like new still.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Yeah you guys with BIG cruisers I could definitely see wanted to leave the majority of the eisenglass up most of the season.

My camper canvas is four sections in total, and I can have it up in about 5 minutes with another person helping. If it was a BIG project than I'd consider leaving it up. I just dont like looking through it when I'm driving, as of course its not as clear as glass and it creates areas that are blind spots.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    I have small fair skinned kids so we leave the camper tops up all the time. It doesn't affect putting the cockpit cover on when we leave the boat. It takes me 10 minutes or less to get the cockpit cover on. It takes me around 15 to 20 minutes to put all the eisenglass up. And we tend to not be at the boat while it's raining so I choose to not hassle with the extra time it takes putting the eisenglass up and taking it off. In the end it all evens out and more time doing stuff on the boat is time well spent.
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭
    I leave the eisenglass up all year. Boat stays in the water. When we come down for the first time in the spring we are going to need it for heat. We are in a covered slip so we don't get a lot of direct sunlight. We clean it in the Spring and again in the Fall. Never been an issue. I don't mind putting it up during the season if a storm is coming. A lot better than being at home. I monitor the weather and prepare. Just part of being at the lake. No big deal to me.
    "Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I leave my camper up all the time. Most of the time I arrive for the weekend after dark so fumbling around with the top will only get you eaten alive by mosquitoes. I had a local shop install straps on the top so I can roll up all the eisenglass into the top without removing it. Dropping the eisenglass only takes a couple minutes to button up the entire top. You only have to get caught in a sudden storm to know the benefits of not fumbling around looking for the correct eisenglass to put up while being soaked and blasted by high winds. My old Chaparral was outfitted with this from the factory so I transferred this great idea to my Rinker. 
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    RinkerYan said:
    I can tell you that TJ sells the original factory stuff and if he has it it may be old but brand new. I bought some things at about a 40% savings. I use my camper top in the spring and fall and the cockpit cover at all other times. I have a covered slip too. 

Who is this JT? Was going to PM him but didn't know his full username.

New here but been a stalker on RBO for a long time. I've been looking for a used 342 for years and learned a lot of info on that model  from you folks when RBO was alive. I currently own a Monterey 282 and have recently found a 342 that fits our budget. It needs eisenglass....wondering if JT has some. Might also look into a cockpit cover.

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanD2 said:
    RinkerYan said:
    I can tell you that TJ sells the original factory stuff and if he has it it may be old but brand new. I bought some things at about a 40% savings. I use my camper top in the spring and fall and the cockpit cover at all other times. I have a covered slip too. 

Who is this JT? Was going to PM him but didn't know his full username.

New here but been a stalker on RBO for a long time. I've been looking for a used 342 for years and learned a lot of info on that model  from you folks when RBO was alive. I currently own a Monterey 282 and have recently found a 342 that fits our budget. It needs eisenglass....wondering if JT has some. Might also look into a cockpit cover.

boattech01 is his user name.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Thank you
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342