Options

Fender Racks

BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
Hi all, I'm thinking about adding a couple of fender racks (fender holders) to the bow rails on my 2004 250FV to free up some storage space. I was wondering if anyone else here has added them, and if so which ones/brands you went with, and are you happy with your choice?
 Thanks in advance for any advice.
 Bruce
2004 250 FV 

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've added a double fender holder to each side of my bow rail. Really convenient. I can't remember the brand, and my boat is still in storage. They were around $150 each, all stainless steel with a firm basket for the fenders.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I put them on my 320. However after a year I dont use them much due to limited visibility while underway. Fortunately the truck space on the 320 is huge.... 4 fenders, big bbq, two power cords, hose, two buckets, small stern anchore and three folding chairs and still a bit of organize room left. Gotta love Rinkers!
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, I was worried about the visibility issue, also if they would even fit on the bow rail, it is not very tall on the 250.  Johnny, thanks for the pictures, that's a big help. That is one nice looking Rinker you have, and I do like the transom mount racks you have, but I have a large fishing rod holder mounted there. Maybe I'll just let them hang over the sides like a rookie boater! (Not a chance).  I guess I'll just have to keep stuffing them under the rear seat.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I have mine on the bow close to the windshield 0n my 270 no visability problems

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Hey Bruce, what about angling them on the back under your rod holder?  Not sure how your's looks, but angled might work for you.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Don't hang them over the sides, you will damage your Gelcoat. I have a 260EC and put my holders closer to the windshield. I have no problems with visibility. It is a good way to keep your transom locker space free for other stuff, especially for smaller boats. The fender holders have a mounting system that can be rearranged to pretty much fit any bow rail.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I'm wondering if the bow rails are higher on the 260's and 270's, it doesn't look like I would have enough height to mount them up close to the windshield on my 250. Gslpro I was thinking about looking into incorporating them into the rod holder after seeing the pictures Johnny posted of his on the transom.  I will post some pictures if I get it figured out.
     Thanks for all the advice.
     Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Okay so I'm working on the boat today and I don't see anyway to mount them on the stern with the rod holder already there. Those of you, (Mark and Boomer)  that have them on the bow rails close to the windshield, did you mount them on the outboard side of the rail? 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Yes, I mounted them on the outside of the rail. They hang below my deck a little.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Okay Mark thanks, that's great info, I'm going to order a couple and give it a try.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
    I have problems with visibility at speed with fenders in the holders. The do look good but bring them on board if you have the room
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I received the racks for Overtons last week and used them out on the lake this past weekend. They worked great, simple to install, no restriction to visibility, and freed up some storage space. I never thought of mounting them outboard but that was the ticket, thanks Mark!

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I use pilings to wedge into some of my local docks these wouldn't last long on our boat. Actually with the high freeboard of our 270 and the lack of a bow thruster with a single I/O we manage pretty well but still, on a windy day anything outside the rail is highly susceptible to ramage/scufferation and general chaos.

If mine aren't stowed in the aft rack on the transom, then I swing them fwd from the helm and they lay wedged slightly between the rail and cabin roof.

Just sayin'. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I'm with Tiki, a windy day getting back into a tight slip, those babies wouldn't stay there long.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Axius - then - fender baskets ANYWHERE you want them - LOL :-) MT

• Options
    Tiki & Dream, while I appreciate your concern, we typically don't run our boat into things, and when we are pulling into a dock or slip, we have the fenders out and the racks fold down. That being said, this will be our first season with them on, I'll let you know if I'm mistaken.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I'm with you Bruce, none of us try or tend to run into things.  But, brushing up against a piling along side, it happens even to the best of us Captains.  ~X(   I'll say, a 27' single engine boat, is one of the toughest on a windy day. That said, it does depend a lot on the boating environment you are in.  My area, there are a lot of marinas that have large separated pilings with one small (half way at most) finger pier.  Cross winds tend to put you against the piling pretty quick. (any of you that have been to the Hyatt in Cambridge)  I'll be curious how the season goes with them on the outside.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    We don't have much rough water or complicated docks or moorings here in the midwest, but we do tie up to old trees in the reservoir once in a while, and I'll really have to watch that. 
       I probably jinxed myself earlier by saying "I don't run into things".  
     I'm a honest man, and if I do hit something this summer and wad up one of my new racks, I will admit it, and even post a picture!  
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd mount those inboard of the bow rail. I'd cring getting on of those hung up on a dock and taking the rail with it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Guys how high are your docks??? I have mine hung on the outside of my rail. The bottom of my fender rack is a good 2 to 3 ft above my dock.

I've docked at high piers and assuming the fender is in the right position, the basket never gets close enough to the wall.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The water level in Lake Michigan is way down from the late 90's and the docks are fixed height at the marina due to unprotected waters (not directly on Lake Mich).  That said, my dock is 12-18" ABOVE the gunnel / step area by the arch on a 342.  That happens when you lose 4' of water :P

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I'm sure it will come up a good foot when all the snow melts.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    We can only hope, 2' would be great but that would mean a lot of rain in the upper drain basin.

PC BYC, Holland, MI