Electric Engine Hatch Piston Rebuild-able?

The piston that raises and lowers the motor hatch is getting lazy,  I tried greasing it with no luck via the zerk

what are my options to repair or replace?   boat is a 2000 captiva
I am a new boater with my first boat,  thats why some of my questions seem dumb

Comments

• racingricka87racingricka87 Member Posts: 28
    I just replaced mine got them off ebay brand new $22 shipped for both. they take 10 mins to install. The company websit is liftsupportdepot.com. if you buy off ebay just type the part number in on side off the lift support
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,457 admin
    Did you try to lube the hinges at the bottom of the hatch?????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • picturethispicturethis Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    not the liftgate supports   .I talking about the single support thats operated by a switch
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't even waste your time trying to overhaul, if you can even get the parts (unlikely) the cost will be more than a new unit.  You can get the gas lift cylinders for maybe $22, no way you'll get an electric actuator for that price.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
      Id rather replace with whats there,  but the dealer wants $400!!!!     If I switch over to 2 gas cylinders then I will also have to add a latch so the hatch doesnt fly up ?? correct?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the wonderful world of boating.  :)

You know that BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand.  So $400 is cheap.

My $0.02, I'd get it fixed the right way.  If nothing else for resale value down the road.

Just curious, you said the hatch lifter was "tired".  Have you checked your battery voltage and made sure they are not the tired ones?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• racingricka87racingricka87 Member Posts: 28
    my apologies I didnt realize you had a electric lifter for your hatch. If you did or could convert to gas shocks you dont need a latch when theyclose they stay closed. You can get them in various lengths and lbs. 
    $400 is reasonable really for an end user to purchase. OEM might be 1/2 that in volume, remember the rule of retail: 2X the cost. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    when I say tired ,  I mean slow going up faster going down  and when its cold out its even slower both ways.   I tried on both batteries (one is new) with same results and both have full charge.  If anyone have has leads --the motor I need is a Fasco 2809-540-060
    It's probably not the motor and more likely worn gears/bearings or lead screw. They all go slower pushing a load than retracting the load, gravity wins again.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez guys, I know how that poor lifting ram feels. At this point in my duty cycle I'm slow going up and faster going down too. Cr*p, I hope the Admiral doesn't read this thread and go looking for a Captain with better "batteries" or a better "lead screw"! MT
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Good one MT....