Options

Headliner falling down

I have a 1994 Fiesta Vee 265 and my headliner is falling down. Any ideas on what to do? Is it expensive to replace? Could it be removed and paint what's under it? Any ideas would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014
    Can you pull it down spray 3M contact cement on it and the ceiling then stick it back up?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    First, is it coming apart on a large surface or only on some spot?

If only on some spots you can make a very small puncture to introduce some 3M with a small tube that goes on to the nozzle of the spray can and let it tack well before pressing together and try to use a even pressure (not to much )with a small batten or any flat surface that will conform to the contour of the roof 

Second if it is a large surface peel the headliner back and used the method below

Most of the time the headliner has a foam backup so uneven surface of the fiberglass  does not show and then when it comes unglue some of the foam will be stuck on the material and some on the fiberglass .When you apply any type of glue in this case 3M and coat both surface and let tack good before putting both surface together when you press the surface back in place any uneven pressure will compress the foam and will create a uneven surface. The best way is when you are ready to press the surface together use a kind a flexible batten as long as possible to conform to the shape of the roof and do not put to much pressure on the head liner and move along slowly. Start at the widest part and have a buddy hold the material in front of you. 
    If you need more info let me know 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    jreaujreau Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I did try some of the 3m but there seems to be a lot of debris inside the liner like dried out foam that was used as a backing and I think that is keeping the glue from working properly. It started as a small area around the center hatch but within a couple of weeks it went to **** real fast and now it's more than 50% down. I'm thinking it's at the point of having it replaced or maybe just take it down and paint it?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if the thin foam backing is falling apart, you'll probably be best to pull it down and replace.  I suspect painting might not look very good once you see the base...

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Painting would not be looking good at all because of the roughness of the fiberglass. If you could pull the old one without damaging too much and then go to a automotive uplhostery shop the could cut tou a new one with the foam backing already on and you would have a choice of so many colors. But again gluing it back is not a easy job..... Better leave it to some body who as experience.
  • Options
    jreaujreau Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    1. Thanks again guys, I think you're probably right about not painting. I think I'll call in the pros for this one
  • Options
    bigal6030bigal6030 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭
    Headliners best left to professionals cost around a grand.

Big Al - 2006 - 270 Express Crusier

Home port: Hammond Ind.

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Create a small pin hole and use spray glue to adhere back..  the hole will be near invisible when done right.  Meaning go slow from one side to to other. Might need more than one pin hole to get across area.
  • Options
    Again if the foam is falling apart nothing will fix it. Need to be replace.