Drain Plug/Water in bilge/Bad Smell

Hey everyone, got a few questions all related to each other so bear with the long read.  Drain plug is currently still screwed in,  should I unscrew and leave off all season or put back in?  Second there is a quarter inch of rain water(think its rain) in bilge that occurred over the last two weeks(wrapping this week).  I am hoping the drain plug gets rid of all this, if not should I put some antifreeze down there?  I do not like water being beneath gas tank as I have dealt with a corroded gas tank before.  Last, when I climbed aboard today there was a horrible odor(dead mouse smell) as soon as I lifted up mooring cover and even in the engine compartment(not in cabin).  I started mopping up some of the water and realized the odor is coming from the water.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.  
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Use a shop vac for the water , drain plug could be left on or remove, you can rinse the engine bay with a bilge cleaner or water and vinegar .it a bit funny for the water smell  usually water does not smell that bad unless it has been there for a long time.Any chance that your black water tank has overflow or leaking

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any rotting leaves in the water? That can leave a nasty smell after a few days.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    It has to be the black water, it also has a mix of antifreeze in it.  When the survey was done there was no water in bilge, now there s a lot, just does not make sense to me.  I just received manuals so I do not know which tank is black water.  Is it the port or starboard holding tank in engine room?  Both do not seem full.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    no leaves from what I can tell
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
    You can not miss the black water tank by the colour stains in the tank ,while the fresh water tank has no stains into the semi-transparent plastic. Is your engines has a closed water cooling system (kind of a radiator)? That could explain the antifreeze in the bilge .Or do you know if the engines and water system could have been winterize? 
    Not a closed water cooling system.  Everything is currently winterized.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Bad smell can happen within a week.  I get it in mine within a week of some rain water.  & yes, best to just shop vac it out.  But, if you can leave drain plug out for winter, that'd be good.  it'll allow it to dry real well in there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

If there was antifreeze mix up with water in your bilge after winterizing there could be a leak somewhere. You mentioned that when the survey was done there was no water in the bilge was the winterizing done after the survey? Who did the winterizing  there is a possibility that the blue plug to drain the engine was removed and some water with antifreeze did escape .