Options

Flojet domestic water pump i think quit?

I have the Flojet 4405-143 pump (7 amp max, 3.3 gpm, 35psi, 12 volt DC) which i think quit.  I have tried priming it by unscrewing the filter a bit with a full tank.  The pump is humming but no suction.  In the past it always primed when I ran the tank dry without doing anything special.  It just worked.  Maybe I was lucky, but either way I'm not having success getting this thing to prime, or its broken.  Does anyone have any tricks to get this thing primed, where if it doesn't prime you know the thing is shot?

The end of last season the pump started to get really loud and run more often, so I do not doubt it was on its way out.  This past weekend, our first weekend on the boat this season, I was taking a shower last night and I ran the tank dry.  I thought I heard the pump make an even stranger and louder noise than usual.  I refilled the tank and nothing... 

IF its toast does anyone have a recommendation on a new pump?  It looks like I could buy the exact model of this pump, they surprisingly still make it, for about $125 new.  I'm not adverse to this seeing it lasted 10 years, but thought perhaps there might be something better out there now a days. 

Comments

• Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    If the water tank is full you can blow a little compressed air (just like 10 psi) into the filler cap with one of your taps open and it should force water through the pump.  If the impeller crumbled away it won't help.  Some of the pump makers sell just the end with the impeller and just a couple screws hold it onto the end of the motor, which you think is good if you want to fix it.  Another decent brand is ShurFlo.  Check pricing on the web. 
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    I just replaced my pump with a Shurflo great pump primed and pressurized the system in a couple of seconds. less than $70 from Amazon
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Did you get the aqua king? Is it quiet? I would like something quiet. Mine is fastened in the engine room on the bulkhead. It is pretty loud and wakes the kids at night. So there is a strict no water rule at night.
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Mine is loud too mounted in the same location.
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    One trick to prime this pump is to overfill the tank. If you leave the lowest tap in your boat on and start the pump, then insert water hose onto the water inlet and start filling. Once the tank is full the hose from the spout will start filling. when the level in the hose is higher than the pump the water will obviously try to flow to the pump whether the pump sucks or not. 10 to 1 odds this will work. 
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Nope. I tried it all and it wouldn't prime. It's officially dead. I installed a new one of the same pump and it works like a charm now.
  • Options
    renomanrenoman Member Posts: 1

Dalek,

I definitely owe you one!  I just purchased a 2008 32 EC with only 126 eng hrs and 41hr on gen.  I have had the boat for three weeks and for the life of me couldn't get the Flojet 4405-143 pump to prime.  it hummed and was getting power and I even loosen the pump strainer and no-go!  I filled the fresh water tank to FULL-still no-go!  I read your comment about turning on the lowest faucet (in galley), while pump running, and inputing water into filler hole under normal dock pressure and WHALAA!!!  I had just found the pump/strainer on Amazon for $140 was just about to buy it when I read your comment on the forum.

Rinker owners, this is my first Rinker after down sizing for a 2006 SeaRay 410 SD.  My kids are out of college and gone and the Dancer was a bit too big for the wife and I.  I love the 320EC and thank you ALL for the great input you offer on the many different categories!  Happy Boating!

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I just replaced mine with the same flojet. Camping World had them for $75. It was plug and play.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,468 admin
    renoman welcome to the RBOC.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com