Options

Cb radio testing

Installed a uniden um380 and i keep sending  a "radio check" transmission and nobody is responding. Starting to think i installed something wrong. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    You're in Chicago?  Try channel 27.  That's the Seatow automatic radio check.  Also, make sure your radio is set to high power.  (By the way, your radio is a VHF, not CB ... they use different frequencies.)
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Make sure the antenna is OK or you could damage your radio..... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Sea tow radio check works great.  Channel depends on where you are.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Chrisvr6Chrisvr6 Member Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Thanks fellas. Will try tonight. How do you set to high power? Squelch knob? 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Just don't ask for a radio check on 16.  The coasties here get grumpy at folks who do that.  Over here channel 69 is the popular one for recreational boaters.   

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    To change power level, press and hold "ENT" for two seconds.  That toggles between 1 Watt and 25 Watts.

Switch to Ch 27 and do a normal radio check request.  It will play back a recording so you can hear how your radio sounds.  The transmitter is just south of downtown Chicago. 
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Seatow uses ch 24,26,27,& 28 depending on your area.  You can look it up on their website to see which is the best to use.

It works really well, I just replaced the antenna on my fishing boat and checked the connection with a radio check with seatow.  With the upgraded antenna I was impressed how far I was getting a good connection.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Oh wow. People get grumpy about radio checks?  You guys are awesome. Thanks again. 
  • Options
    It depends how busy channel 16 is in your area.  In Chicago, I'll bet 16 stays pretty busy, so it's important to reduce unnecessary traffic.  On the Potomac River, there's not much radio traffic, and I've never heard any complaints about using 16 for radio checks.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    We never use 16 in Boston. Strictly Coast Guard.  We hail on ch9 and Sea Tow is 27.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2015
    In Canada, north shore of Lake Ontario, it is routine to hail coastguard on 16, and they will advise what station to move to.  I always hail and request (in one breath) a radio check on 16, so they can ascertain the reason for my call and switch me off. They are always friendly, never had a problem with them on 16.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    See, that why i think something is wrong with my install. I don't hear ANY chatter. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I hear CG following through on radio checks by me all the time.  But I agree, leave 16 for its intended purpose.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Not hearing anything at all?  OK, possible problems are the speaker, the mic and the antenna.

Tune to ch 68.  With the volume at a mid level, turn the squelch all the way down (counter-clockwise).  Do you hear static?  If yes, then you know the speaker is working.

While you're hearing the static, press the transmit button on the mic.  Does the static stop while you are pressing the button?  If yes, then the mic probably works, and it's probably an antenna issue.

Trace the antenna cable from the back of the radio all the way to the antenna.  Are there any cuts or other damage?  When you installed the fitting on the cable, did you have any problems with it?  Did you follow the instructions exactly and make sure the braided shield has a good electrical connection to the fitting?
  • Options
    cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    Chrisvr6

I've had a uniden marine radio for years and they have good customer support when I've called about other problems
    I suggest you try the customer support line:

Our Uniden representatives will be happy to help you with any matters regarding the operation of a Uniden product, available accessories, or any other related matters.

For Product Support on:
    Scanners, Marine Radios, & CB Radios
    1-800-620-7531 Mon-Fri 8:00A.M. to 5:00P.M. C.S.T

For Product Support on the following models:
    UN111, UN114, UN119, UN302, UN308 UN311, UN352, UN354, UN355, UN702, UN704, UN717, UN718, UN719, UN720, UN721, UN747, UN748, UN749, & UN904
    Please contact ESI Technical Support at 212-883-8838
    Or
    By email at techsupport@esicellular.com

good luck with it
    Art
  • Options
    Doing a radio check on channel 27 and not hearing a playback recording. LaRea said:
    To change power level, press and hold "ENT" for two seconds.  That toggles between 1 Watt and 25 Watts.

Switch to Ch 27 and do a normal radio check request.  It will play back a recording so you can hear how your radio sounds.  The transmitter is just south of downtown Chicago. 

• Options
    Doing a radio check on channel 27 and not hearing a playback recording. Something not right. I do hear static when i turn the squelch counterclockwise. 
  • Options
    OK, so we know the speaker works.  The Coast Guard's signal strong enough to be heard by any radio anywhere in your area, so you're not receiving at all. Gotta be an antenna problem.  

Was this a brand new installation, or did you use a pre-existing antenna?  Where is the antenna mounted?  Have you traced the entire length of the cable to make sure it isn't cut, damaged or spliced?  
  • Options
    Antennae was there but no cable. I did a fresh install. Put the fittings on and all. 
  • Options
    Ok so, had the radio on and i heard some local chatter on channel 16. Did a radio check and promptly received a response. So, my install turned out to be ok. 
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭