Options

Oil leak from outdrive bolt

Recently purchased this 192. Noticed a bit of oil around one of the bolts on the outdrive. Doesn't seem to be a large leak as the oil is only around bolt and not running. Just wondering if this is something I should be concerned about or if it needed immediate attention. 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blast the oil away with brake cleaner and see if it reappears. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should not be leaking oil from there. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    right behind and above that stud is a plunger looking thing that provides lube to the lower unit.  on that plunger, there is a tiny oring, and it's base is surrounded by gasket (pinched between the upper and lower units...  I've seen gaskets provided that didn't have a provision for that plunger, and which prompted the installer to simply poke a hole through the gasket and 'make it work'.  this weakens the gasket in that area and causes what you're seeing, most likely.

If I were you, I'd drop the lower unit off and reinstall a new gasket and oring set.  it's too easy not to do, and is the only way to ensure you don't have unexpected issues with your drive this season.  I rec a fine bead of RTV around the perimeter or the mating surface, and with little loops around each stud and item that passes through the gasket.  

we're talking $10 for the gasket and seal kit, another $3~$5 for the RTV, and about half an hour from digging tools out to having them put away and cracking open a man-pop.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jminzjminz Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Is the oil coming from bolt the same oil that is in my outdrive reservoir on the engine?
  • Options
  • Options
    Beer... 

Yeah, your res on the engine is connected to that. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Man-pop = standard reward for any successful boat repair
  • Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    But if you are concerned about the Res, don't be.  The res won't leak when you remove the drive, there is a disconnect when you pull the drive.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would avoid using RTV on the outdrive attachment face.  The o-ring to seal the drive depends on a certain crush to perform properly, RTV takes up space and you don't need much to mess it up, and any difference in thinkness makes it worse and if it oozes where you don't want it you have another problem.  Let alone removing it all the next time your drive needs servicing.  Don't depend on the fasteners to 'equalize' everything to level out the RTV.  Remember the fasteners are there to provide a clamping force to keep the drive in place, and that includes the friction between the mating surfaces to make it work.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Could the oil I'm seeing around that bolt be residue from winterizing? I tightened the bolt a half turn, and also cleaned around the bolt. No additional oil has leaked. 
  • Options
    jminz said:
    Could the oil I'm seeing around that bolt be residue from winterizing? I tightened the bolt a half turn, and also cleaned around the bolt. No additional oil has leaked. 
    I personally doubt it..... and it's because that plunger thing is literally right with that bolt... i'm thinking it's seal isn't sealing- the little o ring ain't doin what little o rings are supposed to do... :) 

Al, BD-  Maybe it's bad? but when I did this job this spring, I used a very fine bead of RTV on the outside perimeter of the gasket, almost where it overlaps the exterior of the drive... I also ran an equally fine bead around the studs... I did this as much to hold the gasket in place while wrestling the shaft back into the housing (I was by myself, and though the drive isn't exceptionally heavy, it is cumbersome to manage holding it up and aligning the splines).... The RTV saved the day in holding everything in place.  Further than that, I used Vaseline (I had some in my tool kit for battery terminals, and highly rec everyone run at least a film of the stuff on theirs, too, as it flat out works to keep everything clean there, especially in salty air/water) to hold the larger O rings against the orifice and make sure they didn't slip out of place or pinch when doing this. 

when I say a fine bead, I'm talking 1/16" or so... the width of maybe three threads bound together, which is a pain to squeeze out, but likely still enough to keep water out and oil in while coupled with the gasket.  The surface is flat enough that a plastic putty knife will make quick work of any residuals. 
  • Options
    Took it in today. The oil on the bolt was residual oil from last time unit was serviced. Preciate all the input from everyone. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad to hear you didnt have a problem and all is good.....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com