Options

Wiring fixed mount VHF options

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
So I am ordering a fixed mount VHF (Standard Horizon GX1300).

I can do the typical installation where its wired up to a power source behind the dash, but I was wondering if this was an option - What about splicing the power wires into a cigarette style adapter, and then powering it with the plug right at the helm? That would prevent me from having to cut holes in the dash, and not worry about messing with the factory wiring.

Thoughts? It'd go right in the little cubby below the dash.

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You want a high current power source for your VHF.  They draw a good amount of power.  That's not something you want to skimp on.  There should be a good high current source on the distribution block in the helm.  If you can't locate that, you may want to consider going to the battery or battery switch.  Try to match or exceed the gauge of the wire provided with the radio if you have to go a longer distance.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    I'm with Stodge for sure want a good clean power supply 
  • Options
    Well I ordered a Standard Horizon 1300 DSC and will wire it up to the GPS. I discovered I've got a new buddy that is a Merc certified mechanic that specializes in electrical installs, so thats the route I'm going. I'll wire it into an empty accessory switch.

I also got a 8' Shakespeare fiberglass antenna and ratcheting SS mount. Still not crazy about drilling holes into the boat, but its for a good reason and the next owner will appreciate it I'd bet.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Good choice.  A solid VHF installation is a key safety tool for any body of water bigger than a small lake.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    Good choice Joe!  you will be happy as well as the next owner.  I know you already bought the unit, but there are units that the box resides inside the dash and the rest is on the mic portion (I have one).  Then it does not take any dash space.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yeah, but I didnt want the additional installation and cost of the remote units. I've got the space, but I'll have to find a new spot for coozy storage. LOL
  • Options
    Strother85Strother85 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    @JoeStang, got any final pics of your set up/install for the Vhf?  I finally am getting around to getting mine done.  Thanks