Options

Radar Arch Speakers

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Hey guys....well with winter upon us (not really lol) i am starting to think about new additions to the boat for this upcoming season. I want to add some speakers to the radar arch, not the sides but the top portion. I have a problem though, I cannot mount them on the under side due to my canvas is an inch below the arch so it leaves me having to mount them on top which is not a problem. I cannot find anything for radar arch mounting though, they're all wakeboard tower mounting (tubes).

I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so, how?!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw someone mount a pair of Bose outdoor speakers to the top of his arch. They had a flat bracket which is what you would want.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jmeo97, I have seen what you want to do, done but not with the speakers you sent a link for. I have seen it done (and look cool) with the round "bullet type" speakers that the wakeboard boats use. those speakers are meant to take the abuse of wave pounding and water/rain. You could see who the ski boat manufacturers use like - Mastercraft, Ski Nautic, Tige, Moomba etc.
  • Options
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    I mounted 2 Rockford Fosgate M262 tower speakers on top of my radar arch last year. The brackets that came with the speakers are made to mount on the tubes of a wake board tower. The brackets come apart and I was able to mount the speakers on the flat radar arch just using a portion of the supplied bracket. I also added a separate amp for these speakers and the sound is amazing. The best part is I'm able to fade between the cockpit speakers and radar arch speakers. This helps make it possible to have a conversation on the boat but get some good volume out the back. 
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

I was just looking at speakers myself.  I am going to use JL Audio tower speakers.  They have a mounting bracket that I think would work for what you are wanting to do with top mounting. 

2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg  and @jme097, what are some things you have done to your 280s? I have an 07 280 and was making a list of some things I want to do this winter while its in storage. Speaker upgrade was an idea. I was thinking one of you added a sub under the helm seat. Do you have pics and how did you wire it? And did you change the amp? I was thinking I would like to keep the clarion cd player as I like the 2 remotes in the cockpit. But upgrading speakers. Also... JME, you mentioned the canvas.  I think the 07s had the top that went under and in 08 or 09 they mad the canvas attach to the arch. So on the 07 I can't add overhead arch lights, but if you have guys have the type that goes under, is there an easy way to roll it up to put in the boots?? We did it once this summer and it took 2 of us to accomplish   It was a nightmare... Is there a trick? Lol
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Regarding the arch lights--I saw an older Searay which had a setup like yours which the canvas ran under the arch. They mounted the lights under the arch like my 320 but had a canvas company sew in two oval eisenglass panel right under the lights in the canvas. Now he had lights in his cockpit which shined through the oval eisenglass. Smart and I am sure was not a lot of money. Plus the lights are protected being installed on the underside of the arch. Just a thought.
  • Options
    JB I did a system upgrade. I ripped out the factory head unit and 6 CD changer (LOL). Replaced the four 6.5 speakers with Infinitis and also cut in (Infiniti) (2) 6x9 inchers in the rear of the boat. The one on the port side is right above where the door would swing back and the starboard is right by the electrical outlet couples inches off the floor. Then mounted a 10 inch shallow mount Pioneer sub under the seat behind the captain chair with a 5 channel amp. Alpine VDX-9 i think it was. I have the 4 6.5 speakers tied into the front channels on the amp and then the two 6x9's into the rear channel. The system sounds great. Very loud but crystal clear when loud. I want two 6.5/8 inchers to the radar arch just for some sound directed toward the back of the boat when we're in the water (which is a lot)

Link to the amp: http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-5-Channel-Extreme-Amplifier/dp/B007VSXGOQ

Link to the sub: http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-TSSWX2502-Shallow-Mount-Pre-Loaded-Enclosure/dp/B00JQTU3QC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450274574&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+shallow+mount+sub+with+box
  • Options
    I upgraded my Clarion speakers with Alpine SPSM600's. They sound much better. I was looking at adding a sub under the helm seat, but I haven't gotten to it yet. It is on the short list for next spring. I thought about 2 long throw 6.5" subs in each of the access panels. I had found one, but I didn't bookmark it, so I need to find it again. I also haven't decided on an amp yet, but the one above looks like a good deal.

As far as your arch lights go, I replaced mine with the tricolor ones from ITC Marine. I remember some of the Rinkers with the bimini under the arch having the eisenglass in the bimini so the lights would shine thru. I forget what model I saw it on, but that is one way to get light and use the bimini. I also replaced the courtesy lights with blue LED lights. I like the blue at night, not as harsh as the white. I added a power port to the battery panel so when I am blowing up a raft I don't need to drape the cord from the helm location. The accessory breaker was free on my 280.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll see if there's a place nearby that can modify my canvas. Would love to have overhead lights. The courtesy cockpit lights don't light things up that well. We do a little floating at night sometimes. Can't hardly see my buttons at the helm. How did you guys run the wires from the head unit for the amps and things? I want to try and find out how to get a smartcraft harness from the engine to the dash... things are tight in that engine room! LOL.. from what I see the smartcraft is an easy install once you have the harness up there.... you guys have given me some great ideas!
  • Options
    Greg.. Im hoping to make a boat ride for a weekend in Pittsburgh this summer.. may have to look you up if I do! I think there are about 5 locks from where I am to Pittsburgh on the Ohio... we love Pittsburgh! That's where we usually do our shopping etc. I live about 45 minutes south of Wheeling.
  • Options
    And sorry for so many questions... Lol. But how do you change those little bulbs in the cockpit courtesy lights? Did I you guys change out the fixture or just the bulbs? I have some that are burned out, but don't know how to change them. Lol. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking about the LED courtesy lights at ankle level you have to change the entire fitting. They unscrew from the back so you have to reach up with your hand and unscrew the backing then they will pull out.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll see if there's a place nearby that can modify my canvas. Would love to have overhead lights. The courtesy cockpit lights don't light things up that well. We do a little floating at night sometimes. Can't hardly see my buttons at the helm. How did you guys run the wires from the head unit for the amps and things? I want to try and find out how to get a smartcraft harness from the engine to the dash... things are tight in that engine room! LOL.. from what I see the smartcraft is an easy install once you have the harness up there.... you guys have given me some great ideas!
    There are chases on the boat to run the wires. From the stereo head unit to the dash, if you remove the panels in the storage cabinet you can get over the head enclosure to the dash. From the dash to the engine room, it is a little tricky... You need to remove the speaker, then the panel below the helm seat. From there you can get behind the air conditioner and back to the engine room. A fiberglass fish tape or glow sticks work great at getting from point a to point b. I would like to tackle some smartcraft gauges myself. I like the tach and the 4 in 1 that Merc has. I just need a boat buck or two to take that project on.

This board is great. So many people with small but useful mods, or big and awesome mods.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg.. Im hoping to make a boat ride for a weekend in Pittsburgh this summer.. may have to look you up if I do! I think there are about 5 locks from where I am to Pittsburgh on the Ohio... we love Pittsburgh! That's where we usually do our shopping etc. I live about 45 minutes south of Wheeling.
    If you make the trek up, you will have to look me up. We are on the river pretty much every weekend. It is our weekend home. The ride from Wheeling to Pittsburgh and back would be a great weekend trip. If you haven't checked it out yet, boatlocal.com is a Pittsburgh/Cincy/Louisville site that has a ton of local info on it. When they update the calendar, you could plan your trip for a Pirate's home stand, or fireworks, or whatever strikes your fancy.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Love the forum... I find myself looking every night to see if there's any new interesting threads. Thanks for your input and ideas, guys! Getting my list together!