Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not four feet?  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Nice.  What do those babies do when they see humans?  Do they care that you're standing there taking pictures?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parents lived in Fla. for 18 years, that baby's why you don't go after your ball in a golf course water hazard, don't jump off the dock into a canal or let small dogs drink at the water's edge....on the plus side your drives are safe - best boat guard dog ever - and she'll feed herself, although she looks like she's looking for a treat. That gives me an idea why not invite Brady and Billicheck over for a swim - she doesn't look picky. LOL
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I was playing in a golf tournament in FL yesterday.  I whacked my ball into a suspect looking water hazard.  The ball was just on the edge in the water.  I was advised from the locals to only use my club to pull it out of the water and keep my distance.  Advice I appreciated... 

Gators seem so slow and lazy, but they can sure move when they want to, as we witnessed at an alligator farm we went to in Myrtle Beach a couple weeks ago.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've read that some can run and swim up to 25 mph
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone has been feeding it because it just swam right up. I kept calling her: Come on Ray, Come on Ray LOLOLOL
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    No swimming eh? Thats crazy 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    That's wild! Not too much to worry about here up north.... except it is SNOWING again today :(
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does kinda look like Ray.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We get the occasional pet alligator in the rivers, but by the time winter comes, they die...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Really Greg, Really?
  • Options
    Unfortunately yes...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a few pop up here in the lakes on Long Island the past couple of years.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Someone has been feeding it because it just swam right up. I kept calling her: Come on Ray, Come on Ray LOLOLOL
    Really Steve really...... I hope it bites your a$$.........LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin

randy56 said:
    It does kinda look like Ray.
    Randy screw you too. Your in line to get bitten also..........lol
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Better close this thread!!!!
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not an uncommon sight at all....and people who feed them sign their death warrant as they soon become to friendly and have to be killed. That said, they absolutely scare the crap out of me and I have lived in FL most of my life. I told on here a couple years back of a visit to Cayo Costa which is in Handy's neck of the woods- a virtual deserted island about 7 miles long that is stunning. Late evening, wife and I were enjoying the sunset at the beach....had my tackle box with my 9 MM a little to far in back of us as a gator was also enjoying the beach but between the 9 and where we were sitting. Very unnerving as the deserted island just became a problem! He froze, we froze and then he stood up on his haunches and took off much to our relief. I have swam the rivers in younger days of bass fishing, never thought nothing of jumping in the water for  a quick cool off but man, no more! What a way to go! We hear of about once a year of an attack, seldom a death. Last year not to far from me a woman from England was swimming in a local hang out and swam out of the "swimming area" near some weeds on the bank and a gator hit her and bit her arm off- also last year a kid swimming in an swimming area that apparently was also close to a nesting gator got pulled in and almost drowned but somehow got free. Often, a gator will just take you to the bottom, drown you and then shove you up under a log somewhere until your right to eat...not a pleasant way to go... come on down to FL! But that is the same anywhere in the SE US.
  • Options
    Betty white had no problems with them in Lake Placid. LOL
  • Options

A gator can rock back a bit which stretches its tendons, then it can explode from the water at least half its length. Anyone who gets near the water's edge is nuts.

I was waterskiing in Florida years ago and skied right over two gators. That was the end of any deep side to side cuts for me. I pi**ed my shorts and skied right to a dock.

• Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    This was caught in the River right where I anchor and swim, got me thinking twice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/09/04/8-foot-bull-shark-caught-in-potomac-in-st-marys-county-md/
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options

Patrick, I have been diving for over 40 years. There are two sharks I pay particular attention to as they are so unpredictable that IMO they are super dangerous: Tiger shark and Bull shark. Great whites no big deal, the other two are life takers ....just because they can.

When I used to encounter Bulls we had bang sticks - basically  a long aluminum rod with a shot gun shell in the business end. I had to blow a Bull's head off once as the stupid jerk wouldn't leave me alone.

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Wow to MT and the bull brain shot..  You have quite the interesting experiences!
    No real worries of gators up by me but all the great white activity up in Cape Cod is way to close to my stomping grounds for my comfort. We boat 20 miles from Chatham often.  They really need to figure out a solution to the huge seal problem on the cape. They are approaching South Africa shark levels. 
  • Options
    edited April 2016

@craigswardmtb, Yes! 100% .....fellow divers have asked me to join them in areas where there are seals to view the GWs. IDIOTIC behaviour. I have had an 18 foot tiger swim up to me to take a look (even at 6'6" I felt SMALL) but to go swimming/diving/snorkeling anywhere near seals is NUTS!.... the sharks in those areas are super aggressive.

Didn't someone on here post the overhead shot from a drone/plane of the surfers with about 1000 sharks under them as they travelled down the coast? It was a true shot and was chilling!

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL all in fun Ray.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    .....and you can thank Canadian, American and European celebrities for essentially stopping the seal hunt in Canada for that! Now the friggin' seals have destroyed the cod fishery and are fouling the beaches and attracting sharks!
  • Options
    NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    From what I hear they reek havoc on boats on left coast as well.  pretending your swim platform is their home, and crapping all over it, but it gets better, the people who own the boats are not allowed to do anything about it!!!!  pffft...hippies
  • Options
    It's the left coast
  • Options

Wow, Steve, that WAS a good one!