Options

Flares

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know the proper disposal method for old flares? 

Comments

• Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    We sometimes have old road flares at work... we soak them in barrel of water for a few days and throw them away. I am NOT sure if the same method would work for you, but it seems like a plan. :)    Of course, another school of thought is you can never have too many flares, save them as backup.... or, although many will yell at me for suggesting deploying them over water during a non-emergency situation..... the 4th of July is coming up..... (sits back and waits for the reaction) :) 
  • Options
    We have a burn barrel at work and we are lighting them off one by one and tossing them in. Called the local FD they had no idea. Called the marine division, no clue. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,625 mod
    Sometimes the local Coast Guard Auxiliary will accept them to use for demonstrations.  

Are any of you guys investing in LED flares?  When I got my annual Vessel Safety Check last weekend, the examiner was promoting LEDs as a way to augment pyro flares.
  • Options
    Not intended to replace though? 
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

At a cost Guard class I attended recently, they recommended keeping the expired flares as spares because the actual burn time for a flare is pretty short so you never know when you might need more than is required by law.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    Practice using them on the 4th of July
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wm61356 said:

At a cost Guard class I attended recently, they recommended keeping the expired flares as spares because the actual burn time for a flare is pretty short so you never know when you might need more than is required by law.

Good point.

Guess we can close this thread also...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594 mod
    If they are just the handheld ones, and you have some as spares...well, I actually lit them at home in my driveway just so I knew how to do it and see if they still worked being about 8 years past expiration (kept the newest expired ones for spares).  I don't personally see anything wrong with that at home for handheld (now, I'm in a more remote area).  I'll say I learned that I'm not sure I'd really want to be holding them while lit and on a boat.  They really don't seem to be the safest thing to use while standing on a boat.  Made me think about the new LED ones or the shooting flares.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    Dream tape it to a boat hook and hold it over the side.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Just to side-track on LEDs: there's only one product that is USCG-approved (the Weems and Plath SOS Distress Light), and only for night use.  At this point, I can't imagine anybody would abandon pyro flares entirely.  

That flare costs $100, has a range of 10 miles at night, and lasts for many years with annual battery changes.  There are other products marketed as marine flares for under $20, but they are not USCG-approved, and the range is much shorter.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    LaRea have you tried that light? for the cost of flares i'm considering it and just keep my old flares for a back up. 
  • Options
    Not yet.  I'll probably get one when my current batch of flares expires.
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    kind of what i'm thinking as my flares expire september 2016 not even good for the whole season lol 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also been told to keep the old flares on board as spares. Nothing in the regulation says you can't, if you do have the minimum number of unexpired flares.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"