Options

Fresh water or salt water

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious what everyone is running in. We boat in salt water in the Great South Bay (south of Long Island). I wish we had some lakes big enough to put a 242 in but no such luck. The salt does beat on the boat but as long as you keep up with cleaning and maintenance the bay is GREAT!
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    cvmamartycvmamarty Member Posts: 23 ✭✭

We boat in the Cumberland River and Land Between the Lakes all fresh water. Don't have to worry about the Tide once you anchor for the night

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    My boat is in salt water. I only haul out once a season for maint. I have bottom cleaned and zinc's replaced. No problems....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fresh water in the beautiful and big Lake Ontario.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Wonderful brackish water of the chesapeak
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Crystal clear waters of Dale Hollow Lake Tn.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Sweet looking picture...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    We boat on the Rideau Lakes system but head down to the St. Lawrence ( 1000 Islands) and Lake Ontario every summer for vacation.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake Michigan: shark free, no salt added. :D

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    We boat in Puget Sound (SALT). We enjoy hundreds of miles between Olympia, Seattle, and Canadian Gulf Islands. Endless if you want to go the inside passage to Alaska. LG
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Boomer, Great shot. Love Tenn but didn't know about crystal clear water...hmmm.

BD, "shark free" lmao. Our favorite way to add salt is on the rim of a margarita and/or on a shark steak ;) . Down here it's the gators, aka swamp chickens, that I really loose my patience with (suffice to say they do sorta taste like a tough chicken).

I guess we're on the open water team with LG except we're 3500mi in the opposite direction in sw FL. If we trailer our 270 we'll occasionally get to a lake or river, usually infested with pesky swamp chickens, but I have to say I love the ease of putting the boat away compared to the 90min de-salt rinse down routine we usually have otherwise. 

Of course the flip side is that it's hard to beat the turquoise water, beaches and weather between Oct-June.........when around June 1st the broiler inevitably turns back on and it's back to margaritas in the shade. Pass the salt  B-)

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Boomer -- looks like a great place to boat
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    PartsMan said:
    Boomer -- looks like a great place to boat

It's heaven 620 miles of shore line 22000 acres of crystal clear water smallmouth bass capital of USA visibility around 25 feet I could go on & on & on........

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All fresh! St.Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, Rideau Canal System. Take a choice - left turn the USA or right turn Canada. Bud or Canadian or Labatt's Blue. Fast cruising or on the hook in a sandy bay leeward of one of 1,800 islands. BTW -  Hey Tiki, I was with some American friends a few years ago (okay lots of years ago)  in St. Augistine Fla. we went to a restaurant and had blackened alligator, blackened shark and jugs of beer in mason jars. The restaurant went right out into the St. John River and I think it was called Salt Water Cowboys. That was some night. Then it was down to visit my parents in Ft. Lauderdale. Great place Florida. Blackened swamp chicked is all right, but shark - that's  a little chewy!
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    Lake Wawasee is our home lake.  We do often visit lake Erie and Lake Michigan.  This summer I want to trailer to some smaller lakes in Michigan.  I need to get back into water skiing and prove I can still bare foot.  Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    We'll be needing video evidence, Al!
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Hey Steve, I think we saw Al undercover (undercover Al that is), all dressed in yellow going by the name of George down in Fl recently  :D  Awesome video link below 

Good luck with all that.
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Okay...I take it back!
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Here in "The Land Between Two Rivers" (Iowa) there are not many lakes, but we do enjoy taking our boat up on the Mississippi. If you have a mind to, I guess you could travel the entire length down to New Orleans. We also have Coralville Lake 20 minutes away, but it is not very large and gets very congested on week-ends. Further away is Lake Red Rock, Saylorville Reservoir, and Lake Rathbun. We will be taking our 246 down to Lake of the Ozarks in June. We had a different boat last year that we took to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky, very nice. Many years ago I went with my folks to Dale Hollow, also beautiful. We have friends that used to live near Baltimore (Pasadena) and we had been out there a number of times. Water, water everywhere! Is there any thing better than boating? (not including s*x, of course!)
  • Options
    Hey Mike now we all know that was not Al the boat was not a Rinker......LOL
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,594 mod
    I'm sthe same as Brianin the brackish of the Chesapeake. Got you beat boomer, over 10,000 miles of shoreline! :P  (nice pic!)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Salt Water.  SW FL, Terra Ciea Bay, in the general vicinity of Tiki Hut.  The lift helps a lot.  And my engine room blowers spend a lot of operating hours keeping the air in there reasonably cool and fresh.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342