Options

Hi Guys! Got a question about my 2008 246 Captiva- Steering

Hi everyone, I was a member on the RBO and went to post a questions and couldn't find it :/ But I see alot of the same members on her so I am hoping someone can help me on here... At the end of the season last year hubby winterized our boat and when we removed the batteries we found a LARGE nut and washer laying beside the battery. the only thing we can figure is that this is off the steering because our boat had so much play in the steering at low cruising speeds. Im thinking this is the large nut that goes on the cable but we can't figure out where this goes. Does anyone have any images of the steering cables or any ideas that will help? BTW hubby rebuilds industrial machines so he's no dummy when it comes to repairing anything machanical. thanks in advance for any advice ya'll can give :)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slop in the steering at slow speed is normal. I would give the engine bay a good look over to try and find where it came from. If its as LARGE as you say it is hopefully it won't be that hard to find.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    If it came off of the cable you would have no stairing at all. That would mean the cable is broke off. That nut is off something else. Good luck and keep us posted.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    shockneyshockney Member Posts: 5
    Ok we're working on it today. I see big nut on steering cable so it's not that. The nut washer and star washer was laying next to one of batteries. Back one if I remember correctly. I will try and attach picture. I see 4 big bolts that mounts engine and they are all there. That side of engine compartment doesn't give you a lot of room to get in there and look.
  • Options
    Hubby said all slack in steering seems to be behind steering wheel. I've read a lot of post when I googled it and loose / slop in steering seems to be a normal complaint
  • Options
    Are there any stainless fittings or cleats mounted above the batteries under the rail?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TsquareTsquare Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    The nut and two washers appear to be from a "pop up cleat"   These are very easy to vibrate off due production not installing any thread lock as required.  I suggest double checking all.   Even some caulking on the threads will work.   Al
    Undercover,  Alswagg
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I will check cleats tomorrow. I never saw anything on engine with nuts that big except motor mounts and those are all there.
  • Options
    Ok you guys officially ROCK! It's the cleat nut. Of course it's the cleat on the walk thru transome side. Getting to it will be challenging but I will worm my way back there somehow. ;)))
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,469 admin
    Nice cheap fix..... Glad it was not really a problem.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Glad that was it!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    franchrmfranchrm Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    I have the same problem. How challenging was it to get back there and tighten? I'm 6'7" and could be a challenge for me to climb in there :). Any suggestions or tips. Franchrm
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Can you guys get to it if you take the storage bucket out of the walkway.  The one on the port side wall....