Radar use: overlay or split screen

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
I have been following the "Upgrade My Chartplotter" post and after seeing all of the comments about radar use, was wondering how everybody views their radar. I have a Garmin 741xs with 18HD radar and up until recently have been viewing radar via overlay. I do most of my boating in the Great South Bay and I prefer to view a FULL SCREEN chart. My problem is that while viewing in overlay, I can't see the radar targets very clearly.... The little yellow blobs(radar targets) almost get lost in the clutter. Is there a way to make the blobs more visible/bolder? The past few weeks I have been viewing it via SPLIT SCREEN... Radar targets are much more visible, but i really miss the full screen charts... Guess I'll just have to buy a bigger boat with more MFD "real estate". 

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overlay, always.

Your comments are on the money:  you do lose a bit of contrast.  But the overlay is the most reliable way to make the brain "co-register" the radar returns with charted objects, and I think that's more important given the small screen size.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yeah, definitely overlay.  Only way to really know quickly where the targets are.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I just wish I could change the color/contrast of the "faded yellow" targets... They just don't stand out enough for me.