Options

Engine Cutting out at 3000 rpms

I have a 2003 Rinker 270 fiesta vee with a 350 MAG.  I took it out for the first time this season and it was running fine until I tried to bring up on plane.  At about 3000 RPMs, the engine would cut out to low RPMs.  I throttled back and started again and the same thing happened.  Each time around 3000 RPMs.  A few years ago, I had a similar issue and I changed the inline fuel filter near the gas tank and the problem resolved.  Does this sound like a fuel filter problem or a fuel pump problem.  I think I have 2 fuel pumps.. a high pressure and a low pressure pump.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Something is putting the engine computer in Guardian Mode.  I'd suspect a cooling problem ... failed impeller in the raw water pump, blockage in the water  intake system, or some other problem that prevents you from getting enough cooling water.  That's the most common cause.
  • Options
    shessshess Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    I had the impeller changed prior to putting the boat in the water this season.  The temp stayed in the normal range during the whole time I was out on the water today.  Wouldn't the temp rise to higher than normal if it were a cooling problem?
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I had a similar situation last year on my 2004 with 350 Mag (which can be found in engine discussions). I had replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor before the season. I ended up taking it to my dealer after many hours of problem solving. They ended up replacing plugs, wires, cap, and rotor as they couldn't isolate the issue with Mercruiser techs. Solved the problem, but don't know which of the parts were the problem. We assume it was a bad (new) plug wire.

On another note I would replace the fuel filters for piece of mind. You might be surprised what funky things a plugged filter can do. I had this on my Yukon this past week on a family vacation. I think I got some really dirty gas as I had replaced the inline filter about 10K miles ago. Replaced filter when I got home and power restored and no hesitation on acceleration.

I also just read a post by Drew (212rowboat) about what happens with a bad plug wire. Sounds familiar.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Rob

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to my world. Could be water pressure sensor. My sea water temp sensor was bad. It does not show the gauge temp. For me it ended up being the water pump housing. 

http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5473/guardian-mode-again#latest