New member onboard ...

gravel_road_copgravel_road_cop Champlain Lake, NYMember Posts: 89 ✭✭
Before I seek assistance on this forum I believe it would be polite to introduce myself. I just purchased a 280 EC - 2009 and the boat is presently having a major clean up and getting love as never before. Retired peace officer 30 years serviced, Canadian but spend all my summer with my fellow Americans in NY navigating the wonderful Champlain Lake.

I spent the day working on the boat and have few question. 

1) Wiper ..  

Is this a normal installation ? Not very nice :s

2) door lock 

Do I need to order a whole new latch to get a key ?

3) Arch 

This side has not been compound yet but is it normal to see that big of a difference  in color with the boat ? could it be an after market arch ?

That's all for now.

TY in advance for your reply and wish you all Happy New Year 

:) 

Dan 

Comments

• randy56randy56 Newburgh INMember Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, @cableguy has a 280 he will chime in soon. There is a way to get a key. Nice boat. Thanks for your service, 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDMember, Moderator Posts: 5,823 mod
    Well, I agree you can definitely get a key (3 digit code is needed). Wiper, not sure what is wrong? Third one, like you said probably purchased at a different time. I wouldn't be too concerned. Boat is beautiful and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• gravel_road_copgravel_road_cop Champlain Lake, NYMember Posts: 89 ✭✭

Is the shaft too long ? or it's a normal set up ?
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDMember, Moderator Posts: 5,823 mod
    That looks normal to me.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Revere MAModerator Posts: 4,510 mod
    Welcome to the RBOC. Good luck with your new ride. The wiper looks about normal. Yes you can get a key from Rinker. It is fairly common for the arch to be slightly different shade. Mine on my 342 is factory and is a slight shade different.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
  • icoulthaicoultha Niskayuna NYMember Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭
    1. Normal based on my 310
    2. I got extra keys but but were not cheap, some special blank. I’d take it to your local locksmith
    3. Ours is slightly different too perhaps because the arch if I recall from others smarter than me is powder coated aluminum versus fiberglass and I think the fading over time may fade differently. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Rear Commodore (2019), Crescent Boat Club

IT/Webmaster

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard @gravel_road_cop.
    Comments as above, wiper ugly but effective. I think placement came down to deck design. Arch is usually aluminum so paint may fade or show a little different sheen over time. You are the only one that will really notice.
    Keys - Surprised nobody has yet mentioned mobellakeys.com . 
    They supply marine keys for most of these locks. If you look on the backside of the lock (cabin side) there should be a 3 digit number starting with either an 8 or a 9. You may have to slide the little thumb latch to the side to see it. That is your key code for Mobella. Any of us that have ordered from them have gotten them usually within a few days.n They are really about the only supplier. A locksmith might be able to duplicate it, but likely at higher cost and more time.
    Finally, I can't stress the search function on the forum enough. By all means, ask any questions you want, a real friendly bunch here that will do whatever they can to help, but quite often the issue has already been covered somewhere and it can save you some time waiting for answers.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • AlswaggAlswagg Member Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the arch it is original oem.   As for Color the arch is Painted with Awl Grip Marine paint.  The boat is gel coat.  The gel fades to a more Yellow tint.  Once you sand and buff the color will be closer.  280s are very nice boats. What motor/drive package do you have?
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAMember Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. I have a 2008 280EC and I love the boat. The wiper shaft is normal. You might want to recaulk it with some 3M 4000 while you are cleaning her up. You can get spare keys using the 3 digit code on the keys or on the back side of the latch handle. I believe the company that makes them is Mobella Keys. I am at my in-laws place right now, so I don't have the link on my phone. What Al stated about the arch is correct. It's painted and the boat is gel and they fade at different rates. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • gravel_road_copgravel_road_cop Champlain Lake, NYMember Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Thany you all !!! Very nice bunch of people here. 

Will chip in when I can help. 

Volvo Penta 8.1 with DP stern.

Dan
    Post edited by gravel_road_cop on
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember to keep that nut tight on the wiper shaft because it will leak. Thats one black rubber gasket I havent figured out where to get yet
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYMember Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember to keep that nut tight on the wiper shaft because it will leak. Thats one black rubber gasket I havent figured out where to get yet
    I loosened mine and put some sealant around it then snugged it up when I rebedded all of my bow rail and windshield screws. Haven't seen any signs of water leaks since I did this 2 years ago.
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Pittsburgh, PAMember Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rebedded my windshield this past summer when I got a new screw cover from TaylorMade. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!