Options

Volvo Penta fault codes

I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has an answer...
Our 2008 280EC with the Volvo 8.1GI will not start.  Engine turns over but not even a sputter.  The digital HOURs meter now shows a number "8" in the upper left of the digital display.  My dealer said that would indicate a low voltage situation.  He suggested I try ganging the house battery with the engine battery to rule out a bad engine battery.  This did not cure it and either way the engines turns over without hesitation.  
He will be sending his mechanic down next week but  I was wondering if there is a list these codes and what they mean.  Can't find anything on the internet in this regard other than the codes that a ECM diagnostic computer would show.  Is this fault code display unique to Rinker?

thanks in advance,
Alan

Comments

• Options
    Hi Alan!  That is actually not a numeral 8 in the upper left hand corner of the display, it is an hour glass showing there is power to the hour meter.  You can check to see if there is an emergency shut off or tether cord emergency shut off on the shifter, make sure it is not tripped or shut off.  If it is the engine will turn over but not start.  If there is no kill switch or it is on then the mechanic will need to check the engine to determine the cause.  Hope this information helps!