Options

Non boat related personal or political comment removed

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    RV to keys and rent a boat
    @Handymans342 -- I thought of you when I saw this work truck today.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

18 degrees it Metro Detroit. Haven't seen whats under the snow since November. I was down in Melbourne Fl. 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to the day that I can retire and come down there. Then back to Michigan for July thru Sept.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @ruggerole Snow-birding is too much work.  If/when the admiral and I make it to retirement and decide to move (which will be after our boating days) I expect we'll find a warm spot and stay there.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    @ruggerole Snow-birding is too much work.  If/when the admiral and I make it to retirement and decide to move (which will be after our boating days) I expect we'll find a warm spot and stay there.
    Yes please do not snowbird. The traffic is bad enough down here with all the geratric drivers!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    I agree and Florida is the last place I’d be going for many reasons including what @Handymans342

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Stodge said:
    Yes please do not snowbird. The traffic is bad enough down here with all the geratric drivers!!
    Traffic in the Cape and Ft Meyers is TERRIBLE !
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So where to snow bird? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Everyone is moving to Florida because of our tax laws. If you snowbird down here just relearn how to drive and not cut over 3 lanes because you just realized you went past Wal-Mart. Also do not wear those giant plastic sunglasses. There is a reason we have an eye doctor and a gun store every 6 blocks .
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Traffic in the Cape and Ft Meyers is TERRIBLE !
    Not as bad as DC!!
  • Options
    When I finally do get down there, you will know its me. I will be driving the American car. I was blown away by the number of imports in Florida. I know that California is worse. I was told the old reason "Its because American cars suck". REALLY??? If that was true, then all us Michiganders must never be able to drive because their cars are in the shop. NOT!!! When the day comes for my retirement, that reason will keep me from choosing Florida.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    @ruggerole - I noticed the same thing when I moved from OH to MD many years ago.  At this point though, with closing of GM plant in Lordstown, Honda still makes them in southern OH.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    So, there are lot's of places, small towns all over Florida that have not had the expansion. Where does the propaganda say you should retire, Miami? Ft. Lauderdale....SW Florida? Those have been all the hot spots and indeed, coastal living is nice. Neat thing about FL is you can't go a mile without falling in some water somewhere and coast to coast in not much more than about 2 hours east to west so there are plenty of places to retire in FL without getting jammed up. Little town I live in is Sanford- on the St. Johns river in central Fl and you can travel all the way to Jacksonville. There are many little small communities along the way. Just depends on what your looking for. 30 minutes from Orlando but a world away....places like this all over FL, just need to dig a little! All up and down the inter coastal water way system.....
    Like Ras said: Florida's a big state with a lot of quaint little towns that just don't have enough employment to sustain any form of growth. I'm thinking of making the move early - I'm only 36 - but I work remotely for a large company and can earn my salary anywhere. Keeping more of it would be nice, but mainly I want a few acres away from highway noise, craptastic neighbors, and HOA's, and where my kids and I can have adventures and play. Enough open yard to launch a paramotor, and near a ramp (or with a dock) for the Rinker.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Can we divert a few million Californians to Florida?  They all keep moving to Arizona in swarms, and bringing their jacked up politics with them, messing up our great state.  Yes.....I think Florida is a great option for them B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    ruggerole said:
    When I finally do get down there, you will know its me. I will be driving the American car. I was blown away by the number of imports in Florida. I know that California is worse. I was told the old reason "Its because American cars suck". REALLY??? If that was true, then all us Michiganders must never be able to drive because their cars are in the shop. NOT!!! When the day comes for my retirement, that reason will keep me from choosing Florida.
    You are a car racist. LOL
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Personal opinion or political comment removed.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    About the only cars made in America are trucks- Ford cars are not, gm did and shutting down their plants and the "foreign" are made here are assembled here with all the parts coming in where all the real money is and all the profits going back over seas....that gm lay off with 15000 will turn into a bunch more jobs when you look at suppliers. Glad my tax money bailed out such a poorly run company but their stock is good to go! We are a hot mess....
    As a GM employee I have a slightly different view of the state of our company.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    well, back on the topic....it's supposed to get back to the 50's & some 60's by weekend and the extended forecast looks to stay a bit warmer.  I think by this weekend I'll be clear to dewinterize.  But, I'm planning to hold out a bit and do a little maintenance under the winter cover and run some heat.  I'm thinking I'll wait and pull the cover either March 22nd (or just load the boat back with all the stuff on that day) or wait until the 29th.  

• Options
    As an engineer that works for a supplier of US made cars I will never apologize for standing behind those who stand behind me. I am currently working on automation equipment for the Ford Bronco. Secondly, imports may be built here, but where was the design done, where does the money go?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    Did not know they were bringing back the Bronco, looked it up, picture's look good, coming in 2020 I guess. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Randy, see you in Key West on a Chinese Bike. LOL
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I've been an import guy till just recently... decided my move to FL included an SUV purchase.. have to say while there are some rough edges to this vehicle...at the same time I don't miss my lexus...this suv has some great technology stuff packed in it that the lexus STILL doesn't have... took these pictures on Monday. 

Have test driven the new ranger and really like it, just wish the seats were a little longer for my legs, feels a little tight.

The bronco may be next up on my plate - curious about what automation you are putting into it @ruggerole - I can tell you one thing that is SUPER annoying about this explorer is that it uses the ABS pump to build pressure to apply the brakes when Radar cruise control is on. (I forget what ford calls it).. I've had two other cars with this and neither one of them had a loud humming in it right before applying the brakes. I fear that if the ranger has this defect in it I won't be able to buy it. Hopefully the bronco will have gotten past this engineering screw up :) I mean seriously, who's bright idea was it to put a top of the line Automatic Cruise control setup into this car, but it has to hum and buzz to the point that it sounds like something is broken, before the system can generate enough brake pressure to push the brakes?? 

• Options
    Looks finished now AL!!!
  • Options
    Just saw a Colorado with a Durajunk yesterday. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    Looks nice Al!  Warmer weather here this coming weekend!  Tomorrow I'm going to do some maintenance on the boat (engine impellers, genny impeller/plugs/anode).  

• Options
    yuck
    Boat Name :