Transom Housing needs replace

Ok fellow Rinkers. Get a call from my marina (while they were replacing the upper seal on a bravo III drive). (I haven't had them service my boat at all as I do most repairs myself) (I have heard talk that they always find additional problems) I have been told the transom "housing" is worn and needs to be replaced at a cost of $8500. Emphasized it was a extreme safety hazard not to have it repaired. Besides getting another mechanics opinion, what is the "extreme safety hazard".

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd ask them to show you exactly what it is that is the issue and potential failure and risk.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod
    That's a good question that, yes, I'd ask them what the hazard is (have them show you).  Is it leaking?  & is the $8500 to do just one transom assembly?  I had both of mine done 2 winters ago, and let me say that is high in price for one.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    He is saying transom housing what's a transom housing? You can buy an asy with trim cylinders for 2500....is the gimbal ring so corroded the pivot pins are falling out? That's about the only safety hazard I could think of.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    Like Ras said $2500 for the assembly ,I think if its not leaking you don't have a problem that can't be fixed without replacing the whole assembly .maybe its just the steering pin and gimbal ring they sell a kit to replace the pin 
  • onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    @Dream_Inn It was for both. My gut feeling is saying BS. How much should a upper seal job cost? No leak except the upper seal on the drive.
    @rasbury Well last year when the drives were pulled and serviced by another mechanic he did'nt mention any problems which he checked the gimbal bearing, bellows etc.
    What is an upper seal? If you have a transom leak ( which I just went thru), there well be no reason to replace the asy, just the seal. It is a crappy design IMO. How old is the boat? I'm not sure how long the seal will last and have not really heard any discussion on here about it but it's easy to see a leak start...if so it's motors out and all...if it's both then I can see the labor start to creep up there....but the question still is the need...if it's not leaking, what is the issue?
    edited February 2019
    @rasbury no leak except the upper seal on the drive. 04
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    I have done both of mine and $8500 is about the average cost depending of what they do. Find out what exactly they are doing then report back.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod
    Yep, I think we all agree the cost is ok.  Just really if it needs done.  Outdrive removal and bellows/gimbal bearing aren't tough (as you said, that was just done), it's pulling the motors out for the assembly that is where the labor gets you.  I don't know of any reason to replace the assembly except when it leaks.  The rest, as Ras said, can be done without replacing the entire assembly.  Gotta question exactly what the real problem is.  I'm not buying into it just yet. I'll add that if it ends up that there are issues with one transom assembly, well, I just bit the bullet and had both done at once.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

I had my gimbal ring replaced last year. $1600. That consisted of engine removal, outdrive removal...

232CC with 350/bravo III

I'm lost...what is the "upper seal" on the bravo drive...are we talking about the steering pin seal? If the transom assembly is not leaking, and even if it were, it still might not warrant replacement of it....especially if the bellows and gimbal have just been replaced....so if the transom assembly is all in one piece then why do they say it's necessary? All this coming together with the info provided does not make sense. I'd ask a whole bunch more questions for 8500 bucks...
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I've heard of "Gimbal Housing" and "Transom Plate", but not "Transom Housing". Does this "Mechanic" even know what he's talking about? 
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Upper swivel shaft bushings, in the gimbal housing, perhaps?
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    www.jrmarine.com/instructions.htm.   

This is might be the issue 
    Thanks for all the input. I also remember him saying how he new this had to be done, he said the drive shouldn't move more then an inch (from side to side). If weather holds out I'm going down and get him to show me what he's talking about and the extreme hazard of not having it done now.
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Had to replace my transom assembly on the ole 270 for same reason. But it was half as much money. At a local boat shop. Guy had engine out in 2 hours. My biggest problem was low speed wander. And someone in the past had JB welded just in front of the Gimble. You could not keep the boat straight. You will be able to grab a hold of the outdrive by hand and move it back and forth. All bushings were wore out.  I think the boat had about 500 hours on it at the time. Hazzard? I don't know about that. It's not going to fly apart. You will see, when you get there. Good luck.
    @Alswagg may have some input.
    This one is $3000 
    MerCruiser SmartCraft Bravo Transom Assembly
    Boat Name : 

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭
    As others have said go back and ask.  I had to replace both of my Transom Assemblies last summer.  The seal is a continuous rubber seal and then a healthy application of a caulking from Mercury.  If your TA is old then he may be quoting the high end to replace it with new.  Several nuts on my TA were seized and didn't want to come off. The bolts to the inner water fitting was also seized and snapped off at the housing when trying to replace the fresh water line.  So it was new for me.  I will say though that you need to look around.  I was fortunate and found transom assemblies for $1500.  I had to drive to pick them up but i saved money.  One TA required that i swap out the trim sender.  I believe i paid ~5k in labor to remove and replace my Transom assemblies.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    He stated the drive should not move side to side more than an inch...that's pretty much what is used to diagnose a worn gimbal ring and steering pin.  5800 for both drives...assuming them both need it done seems very reasonable.  I think the hazard would be lose of steering????
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    @randy56 @davidbrooks @skennelly Thanks Guys!! I really think they are just trying to make some money for a slow winter. Do they probably need replacing at sometime, sure but a "Extreme Hazard"!
    I agree with @skennelly, they are talking about the swivel pin/gimbal ring. I had more than an inch when I did mine, mechanic told me he'd seen worse so not sure it's such a major issue but does need to be done at some point. Extreme hazard - no, you'll lose steering on one drive but then I doubt it will be a sudden "break" either.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Well...here are my thoughts on this. First, have not heard the service history on this TA. Second, look at the design above. You have a round steering pin and a half oval u bolt to secure the gimbal ring. What really is going to limit the left to right movement of the out drive? My answer is the rest of the steering system. Granted, if the steering pin becomes worn I can see you have some slop or a little play but if your moving an inch left and right, that steering pin would have to be worn to a pencil. I just replaced mine, which really had very little wear but had some putting at the seal. Still have the same amount of play. Was told by someone else (which I have not tried) to check when it's running and the power steering system is under pressure. Or, there is some excess play in the cable..still working on the rest of the possibilities. But to say replace the transom assy because of that play I say fuey!
    @rasbury, agree that you need to look at the system but also at individual parts of it methodically. The pin is not the only wear point, the ring itself is more the culprit I saw based on the wear of the square hole in it versus pin wear on mine. An inch of play side to side at the skeg is only a fraction at the pin/ring and careful inspection looking at how the ring moves with the pin and the steering arm is the key - if it moves and the steering arm doesn't, there is pin/ring wear. If you see the arm moving as you side to side the drive then I agree, the issue is likely more at the other components such as cable play. Fuey? - I also agree, more information than "transom housing" is needed to understand what they think the real issue is and path to repair. I'd say from the description and age pin/gimbal ring is at least the core issue.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

From what I saw on mine, the square part of the pin is not a wear point, only the round part that contacts the u bolt. It really is not a very good design, the whole asy imo.  If you can move the gimbal from side to side that's a problem. And by that I mean say the diameter of that pin is .75 and it is worn down to .50 giving you 1/4" slop allowing side to side that is a problem. If the pin is the proper dimension and you grab the foot and it pivots side to side then it's just doing what it's supposed to do and that slop is some where else in the steering.
    @rasbury @icoultha by reading your posts I'm guessing some disassembly has to be done for the mechanic to come to his conclusion or could he just remove the drive and discover it?
    Well, we don't really know what he is saying is wrong....
    True but it is possible to see by inspection with 2 people looking at the steering arm and pin. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    I had to have both of mine replaced. Extreme safety is if the bracket breaks it will take on water.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    @raybo3 I suspect it was a scare tactic to get additional work. Fast talking. He said if I came down he could show me the play in the drive. I plan to stop by Monday. I have been told they are slow.