Personal opinion or political comment removed.

124»

Comments

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    A bit late to the thread but I work as a commercial printer in Halifax Nova Scotia. It's a family started by my father in 1947. Worked summer jobs there from age 14 to 19 when I stayed on full time. 40 years in the same trade.It has provided a good living, nothing over the top, but enough to be able to participate in fun things in life.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And a mighty fine printer you are. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the total cost of ownership also includes depreciation and the cost of money (i.e., interest that could have been earned if the money wasn't tied up in a boat).  But those aren't big factors for a $28k boat.  

Before I bought my first boat in '98, I built a spreadsheet to analyze the total cost of ownership with slip fees, fuel, maintenance and the rest.  The bottom line was a real shocker.  Obviously, we got the boat anyway.  Some of my guesses weren't perfect, but I knew what I was getting into.  

In general, the annual cost will be 10% to 20% of the boat's value.  For me, it's 20% because I use her a lot and treat her like a princess.  
  • BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    I work for the Department of Defense as a Technical Leader/Program Manager. I traveled all over the Middle East doing various mission.  Put in my time to protect my country I love so much and now I stay state side leaving that work for the young ones. Now I lead certain efforts around Ft Meade area. 
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! I went to high school in Bahrain and lived in Riyadh back in the 70's..
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Same as @rasbury: 20' cuddy on a trailer cost the same as my 280EC on the trailer, except my tow vehicle is bigger (and also rarely moved unless I'm pulling the boat).

But I do all the service myself.
    Bayrunner said:
    I work for the Department of Defense as a Technical Leader/Program Manager. I traveled all over the Middle East doing various mission.  Put in my time to protect my country I love so much and now I stay state side leaving that work for the young ones. Now I lead certain efforts around Ft Meade area. 
    We might have worked together at a certain agency nearby.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certain agency...hmmm...are we amongst cia? I swear there is a cia base near my house...it's built as a training station...pretty small and on the edge of our local airport...there are military type vehicles parked but you never see them move or any activity....you never see any soldiers downtown....very suspicious.... 
    edited May 2019
    RAS: Most of the Agency stuff is down by Punt@ Gorda. Cool history in that area.

Just one of many articles: https://www.madcowprod.com/2014/07/15/another-american-mystery-plane-busted/
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    Haha. P. U. N. T. A. Gorda. Fat Point.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty obvious to me why the quality of comment on this forum is the best anywhere - so accurate and insightful.....a lot of very smart, goal-oriented achievers. Great thread to start Ras!
  • trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    most definitely some heavyweights 

wonder what happened to that  grouchy ole codger out of florida