Options

No anodes!

I didnt want to hijack the other thread, I can not find any anodes on my outdrive, here are a couple of pictures.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would see if the threads are still good on the trim rams. I would be sure to install magnesium anodes before next season.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Ok, ill do that thanks for the reply.
     where and how do i install them? ill be docking her on the Beaver river and running the Ohio, river and down to Pittsburgh, magnesium is correct?
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magnesium is correct for the rivers of Western PA. That is what I run. Boatzincs dot com has the best price for them Get the Alpha kit. There should be one that goes on the cavitation plate, one behind the prop, two on the rams, and one at the bottom of the gimbal housing.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see one anode at the lower end of the gimbal housing(last pic) I'm assuming there is one on the other side also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brit, I know you are not looking for more projects but that drive needs to be cleaned, sanded primed and painted. not a tough job with a power sander. Then you need to get an anode kit on it. You do not want that casing to get"spongy" or perforate. MT
  • Options
    TietsortTietsort Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    When was the last time you're bellows changed? If you let them go to long it can do a lot of damage. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys, this boat is new to me, so no idea on the bellows and after looking at the drive last night i figured its going to need some cleaning up,
    Aero you are right, i just went out and looked and there is one at the base of the gimbal housing in the center.
    the trim tab anode is gone and the Gimbal bolt anodes are gone, i learned where they go and the names from cableguy greg!
  • Options
    I dont have the tools to remove the drive so im going to clean it up in place, it wont be a total bare metal job im sure as i seem to lack the skills to get painted jobs look right

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at your third pic there is one just above the hydraulic lines,should be one on the other side also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    What about the flat area above the prop?  Is there a round plate that is grey-ish?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    luckydogluckydog Member Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if you have alpha 1 or 2 drives, hope this helps for locations

• Options
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    Thanks Michael T, that's awesome, this is my first boat so i'm learning as i go, when you say "make sure your Mercathodic system is working" do you mean im just looking to make sure the anodes and being "eaten"?
    Also when painting do i need to cover the water intakes?

• Options
    FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Strongly suggest you get yourself a Mercruiser repair manual. They provide a wealth of useful info. Do a Goggle search. You can order a hard copy or download directly to your computer. I keep a copy of all boat manuals on a zip drive. All the best, Brian
  • Options
    edited November 2014

X

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Wow! really detailed responses, thank you MT now im off to search for mercathode systems.
    I just went through the bag the PO gave me and I have a repair manual.