Boat Lifts

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever kept a boat on a boat lift during a hurricane? I cant imagine a 14000 lb or bigger blowing off a lift. 
Thoughts? 

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine it blowing off the lift either. I would be more concerned about tidal surge. If the surge was high enough, it might float the boat off. The other would be the sway from the wind putting stress on the pylons. Just my 2 cents worth...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,457 admin
    I would think anything is possible in a hurricane. Houses get lifted and destroyed so why not a boat???????  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • rowboat212rowboat212 Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I've been through many storms and see most boats with lifts left on the lift... I've never seen winds threaten them, but the surge sure can... Most are high enough to deal with that in smaller storms... For the big ones, those boats always come down and are trailered inland... Folks with space enough to store them.make pretty good coin off those deals.
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure they would be blown off of a lift in a hurricane.  100 knots more or less will allow the heaviest airplane to fly.  My strategy is to run good heavy lines from the cleats to shore.  Make them tight and fast to big trees etc.  That will assist for the wind direction that would be the worst.  I hope I do not need to test my solutions.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasnt worried about the tidal surge just the winds. 
    I've never seen or heard of a boat properly cradled blowing off a lift... Ain't gonna happen.. even the lighter boats ain't going to fly off.. you'd need a sustained wind in excess of 150- sustained, not gust... That is a rarity in any storm,, and if it happens you've got worse things to worry about than your boat. A twisted can do it, for sure... But most twisters come off the water during hurricanes which makes them water spouts, and water takes a lot of the energy... But about blowing off? Tornado or water spout... Hurricanes ain't got that kinda punch.
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it can be blown off a lift why couldnt it be blown off blocks as well? 
    I have seen boats on blocks prepped for hurricane protection by roping them from the cleats to secure anchors in the ground.
    Hold up... Mebbe I'm not clear.. straps... Strap it down or it can be blown off blocks or a lift, but properly strapped it ain't..
    Straps improve the odds in favor of the boat.  Against a cat 5 I imagine nothing would help.
    edited January 2015
    Thank lil baby Jesus in a tuxedo shirt you don't see many cat5's. All you can do is batten down and clear out...