Options

Raw Water Intake

gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

:/ Just had my Kohler 5E serviced to the tune of $1800 (fuel pump, PWB, impeller) and was told it will run great now but needs to be hauled and raw water intake cleared of a clog, so scheduled a date for this.  I was at the dock yesterday and ran the AC off shore power which ran fine for a half hour then gave me the dreaded HPF code.  I haven't had a chance to check/clean the strainer yet, but wondering if these 2 issues could be related.  Meaning does the intake for the generator and AC share the same line? 

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    Thanks @davidbrooks.  When you say "I simply pull the line where the water exits the AC from under the berth and give it a healthy puff to clear the line.", doesn't the sea water leak in when the hose is removed?
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    nope.  HPF shuts off the pump.  Water is only flowing through the condenser to cool when the pump is working.  Something clogs the pump.  Then condenser doesn't get water, gets hot, shuts off.  I just pop it off the through hull.  The only annoying part in the whole process is having to fix the comforter and pillows on the bed after.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Thanks, will try that.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    gack said:
    Thanks @davidbrooks.  When you say "I simply pull the line where the water exits the AC from under the berth and give it a healthy puff to clear the line.", doesn't the sea water leak in when the hose is removed?
    The exit should be above the waterline.  I'd peek at the in-line filter on the intake as well.  Mine is located in the mid-berth.  There is a shut-off at the hull to keep the water from coming in while you clean out the filter.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    I simply pull the line where the water exits the AC from under the berth and give it a healthy puff to clear the line.  
    This will also clear anything out of the exchanger on the AC unit (which I've had clog with sand that made it thru the strainer).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    You gotta love the GSB!!
  • Options
    Yeah, Lots of seaweed this time of year.
  • Options
    bor1218bor1218 Member Posts: 4
    On both my genny and ac I did The following. 
    Cut in a tee after the filter and before the pump. On the bull side of the tee add a hose bib to hook a garden hose to. When at the dock, ac or genny off, close the raw water in take valve. Hook the hose up to the newly installed tee. Turn the garden hose on and run the unit. The water pressure from the garden hose, usually 60psi+, will usually clean out the entire line. If you have someone watch it will amaze you how much crap and mud come out. 
    After a minute or two shut off the engine and then the hose. Disconnect the hose and cap the tee. Open raw water valve and run as normal. I do This at least monthly. After hot days or after runny in shallow or muddy water I do This when I return To dock. 
  • Options
    OK, Still could use some help here.  I cleared the hose as @davidbrooks recommended and also cleaned the strainer. Opened the seacock to check that water flowing freely.  Started up the AC again and no water flowing from the boat got HPF code again.  Do I need to prime the pump?  Where is the pump located and how do I check if its bad?  Thanks. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod

pump should be near the seacock valve.  It definitely may need primed.  Easiest way to prime, is make sure valve is open and go for a ride.  You could also use a garden hose and squirt water thru the input (on outside of boat where it usually spits water out.  Doing this, with the seacock open, will allow you to fill it and get rid of prime.

You should be able to hear the pump trying to prime (it will have a hiss sound).  If you hear nothing from the pump, then you need to check power to the pump.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 270 the pump is under the aft bed. If you can get to where the water exits. Run a hose backwards to push the air out. Or #2 three small screws at the pump losing a little to let some water out(and air).
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thanks guys,  I did go for a ride to try to prime it but no joy.  Will try the other options recommended when I get a chance. The pump is right next to the strainer, correct?