2005 captiva 192 swim platform resealing

brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
I got this boat last year and have been doing little projects on it. Well the next one is the caulking around the swim platform is in need of replacement. Is it hard to remove the platform to make it easier to clean it all off and then replace?

Also the chrome trim where the 2 halves come together has some caulking on the underside that is needed some attention also. What's the best way to get that out and reseal it? Is it ok to take that trim off or no??

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have any pics??
  • brianc613brianc613 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    I will try to get some later I'm not near the boat
    This caulking under and around the swim platform is pulling away and needs replaced 
    Also in that picture you can see the bead under the chrome strap that goes around the entire boat.. its getting pretty bad in a few places also. Do I just figure out a way to scrape it out of there and reapply something else or do I take that chrome off to make it easier??
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it leaking 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Your chrome is commonly called the rubrail and based on personal experience, I would not attempt to remove it -- unless you want to start a major project and have time and patience.

We switched ours out to a Tessilmare Radial (www.tessilmare.com/en/radial.html) on our old Maxum 2400 SCR. It turned out great, but it took a lot longer and a lot more sweating and swearing than I thought.

Here's a pic of one pile of removed caulk and rubber from the project...

Ours original stainless rubrail was installed with a variety of sizes of stainless steel screws and rivets - which by the way are part of what's holding your top and bottom sides together. About every other screw was stripped, so I had to use a flush cutting blade to get behind the rail -- and cutting stainless is a PIA. And the rivets where a pain to drill out also. It took many more hours than I had planned. Not to mention filling and sealing all the holes before installing the new rail. Below are some pics.

Before...

During...

And after...

Would I do it again? Probably - but I now know it was a lot harder than the YouTube videos portrayed.
    GMSLITHO said:
    Is it leaking 
    Not that I know of but it is starting to pull away from the underside of the rub rail.. I guess I could leave the rub rail alone and try to dig out the old stuff.. I'm not looking for a huge project.. lol 

What about the swim platform is it hard to take off to clean th old out or should I just scrape it out best I can also?
    TonyG13 said:
    Your chrome is commonly called the rubrail and based on personal experience, I would not attempt to remove it -- unless you want to start a major project and have time and patience.

We switched ours out to a Tessilmare Radial (www.tessilmare.com/en/radial.html) on our old Maxum 2400 SCR. It turned out great, but it took a lot longer and a lot more sweating and swearing than I thought.

Here's a pic of one pile of removed caulk and rubber from the project...

Ours original stainless rubrail was installed with a variety of sizes of stainless steel screws and rivets - which by the way are part of what's holding your top and bottom sides together. About every other screw was stripped, so I had to use a flush cutting blade to get behind the rail -- and cutting stainless is a PIA. And the rivets where a pain to drill out also. It took many more hours than I had planned. Not to mention filling and sealing all the holes before installing the new rail. Below are some pics.

Before...

During...

And after...

Would I do it again? Probably - but I now know it was a lot harder than the YouTube videos portrayed.
    That looks really good
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    @brianc613

Thanks! I really like the look of the Tessilmare versus the standard chrome rail. All the fasteners are hidden and you have a nice beefy piece of rubber to cushion your "rubs" LOL

The reason we switched is a few years ago we were bringing the boat back to the yacht yard at season's end and at the dock there was no space so the yard owner told me to raft up alongside a very expensive racing sailboat. A wind caught me broadside, pushing me into the sailboat hard, and from what we could later figure out it was a screw head from the chrome rubrail that dug in and scratched the boat to the tune of a $1000 gelcoat repair. UGH

So for about $500 and some sweat equity - I installed the Tessilmare and all good thereafter. :-)