Options

Offshore outomatic inflatable life jacket sale at west marine today only

Comments

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the difference between offshore and inshore life jackets... buoyancy?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Yes.  From what I read, the WM jackets are at the low end for true offshore use, but they are relatively light and comfortable.  

The "normal" price of $229 is absurdly high, but the sale price of $99 is pretty good.  I'm seeing comparable PFDs selling for $120-ish.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought 2 inshore life jackets from WM last year for $50 each... 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I have 4 of these that we've been wearing for a few years.  Very comfortable (even for my teenage kids).  I need to check the expiration date on the inflators.  Might be time to jump in the water to try them out! (then install the new ones) :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    If anybody sees inflatables go on sale again, let me know.  

Mine are probably 10 years old, and the velcro is worn out so they won't stay closed.  Time to scrap 'em and get new ones.  
  • Options
  • Options
    Almost worth just buying new instead of buying inflators for old ones.

• Options
    FYI, when the coastal PFD is on sale, it's only $20 more.  It has 26 pounds of flotation compared to 22.5 for the inshore.  
  • Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

I know we all are not racers here, but there was an accident that happened shortly after the start of the 2018 Chicago to Mackinac race. The conditions were rough and blowing. There was an experienced crewmember that went overboard and was lost. Attached is the report. In the report it discusses self-inflating PFD's.

https://www.cycracetomackinac.com/chicago-yacht-club-releases-report-on-fatal-accident-during-2018--race-to-mackinac/?fbclid=IwAR2wceSbmdA3i-tYdqbLAIohGnbGUCzgRH51hzvUqAHV0URDB8MLQF9BfiA

• Options
    interesting read ruggerole.  Too bad some of the links in the older safety files don't still work.  I'm at the point of needing to replace my rearming kit.  Not sure if I should replace it only, or the entire life jacket.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Be warned.  The automatic vests may have old inflate triggers.  Basically there is a thing that looks like a small lifesaver that dissolves in water and allows the firing pin to pierce the CO2 cartridge.  They have a shelf life of about 3 years.  Your vest may or may not have a date of when that piece was put in or should be replaced.  I found out the hard way about this when I discovered an inflated vest in my center console.  My vests came with a "manual only" conversion which I switched to.

So be aware that you may need to service an inflatable vest right after you get it to replace that "lifesaver" piece.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge, I agree and mine are at that 3 year point.  The plan is to actually jump in the water with them and try it out.  Then get a rearming kit.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    LOL @Dream_Inn sounds like a plan.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the water is real cold it will work better.lol
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    They're essentially the quick-dissolving compound used in Advil capsules (without the Advil), and they do degrade with time and moisture.

Never give a non/weak swimmer a self-inflating PFD that doesn't also have fixed flotation (there's hybrids out there):
    • dissolving capsules take 3-5 seconds of exposure to inflate (I've had one take more than 10 seconds due to the way I hit the water)
    • HIT or Mustang-style hydrostatic units have to be submerged ~3' to active (but it's nice that they won't inflate in the rain or with a splash)

All my PFD's for "real" emergency use (not the ones that typically get wet) have:
    1. incredibly loud whistles
    2. water-activated strobes
    3. a safety lanyard with clips (so folks don't separate in the water)
    Then the boat has a ditch bag with safety gear as well (above the USCG requirements):

1. Personal Locator Beacon (floats) with lanyard
    2. Quality knife (Stainless dive knife)
    3. Emergency blankets for 4 people (cold water survival)
    4. Water Pouches
    5. Handheld VHF with DSC
    6. Sunscreen
    7. chapstick
    8. First Aid Kit
    9. Dramamine
    10. An extra floating strobe
    11. a cheap umbrella (great for blocking sun)
    All sounds common sense, but trust the guy that spent 18 hours floating around the Gulf of Mexico within cell distance to the Florida Keys and couldn't get rescued: it's the difference between laughing about the experience and likely being hospitalized or dead.

• Options
    ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I agree with ya Dude. I have raced both Port Huron to Mac and Chicago to Mac many times. I keep updating my PFD. Whistle, strobe integral harness with 6 foot teather and knife that is teathered to the PFD. Manual inflate only. When sailing and sitting on the rail in heavy seas will inflate the auto style. Inflatable style PFD's are only for the experienced. 
  • Options
    I completely understand the need for manual PFDs, as mentioned for sailing in rough seas and getting wet.  I cannot make sense for myself to have manual though for just typical cruising.  I know someone that was extremely experienced with boating, but ended up falling out of the boat and not being found until days later.  His manual PFD didn't help him because, well, it's assumed he was knocked unconscious and drowned.  I don't want to go way off tangent here, but is there something I'm missing?  I know mine still has the manual pull as well.  I know it'd probably be cheaper to have the manual, unless it is still every 3 years for changing things out.

FYI, it is nice to hear that others take the safety precautions as well! :)

• Options
    I'll say it another way.  In a power boat, if you're getting wet enough to activate an inflatable PFD, it probably means you should put on a non-inflatable PFD.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn that's exactly why I went with the Auto/Manual inflates. At least if you are somehow incapacitated, or even just shocked by the cold water, the vest should inflate.
    I have some of the HIT models that supposedly just inflate under water pressure, but I can tell you from experience that when we forgot to put the plug in at launch with our previous boat, a foot of water in the bottom of the boat was all it took to inflate them.
    (A long silly story, boat was at dock and never fully sank) :p
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    The HIT models must be upright to be secured from inflating when wet - if they're submerged on their side or upside down they're designed to inflate - so leaving them in the boat and getting 1' of water would do it. They're really the best inflator out there - and I've "used" all three types (aspirin, HIT, and tethered). IF I was sailing I would have a tethered hybrid PFD that inflates when the line is taught - because I'm over the side and want options if I'm still conscious.

With a powerboat - as LaRea stated - if I'm getting that wet (greenwater) I probably have my coastal or offshore vest on, the kids have their offshore vests on, and we're sitting in the cockpit with the ditch bag. If it's just rain I'll have a rain slicker over the inflatable PFD with plastic button fasteners that allow the vest to open.

I also have a Spare Air (mounted to the ditch bag) - call me paranoid but if there's a chance someone is in the water I like to know I have options to get that person to safety. I've used it once in an emergency - searching the bottom for a missing child immediately after she went under - and the 3.0L unit that would normally serve me 20-30 minutes casually servicing a pool lasted less than 5-ish minutes under those conditions. I didn't find her.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have PFD's for everyone, a throwable (or two) within reach, some sort of throw line with a bag handy, a working radio, a whistle/horn, and a plan for when things go wrong. That family lost their 11 year old girl on a routine Sunday at the Sandbar as the tide came in. They had no radio, cell phone was dead, no noisemakers, no throwable PFD, no plan for the kids to check in, and a few beers. Had we pulled in 5 minutes earlier we had everything needed x2, a Mustang Rescue Stick, throw line, etc. - we just didn't know there was an emergency until I overheard crying while dropping anchor, and it was likely too late by then.