Options

Price help

JFDeeJFDee Member Posts: 27
Hi everyone, going to look at a 2001 242 with the 5.0L engine that has recently been redone with all the paperwork.  comes with and EZloader tandem trailer as well.  He wants 24,000 Canadian.  Can anyone tell me if this is a fair price?  He said engine has 45 hours on rebuilt engine.  Has all safety equipment and swim platform with newer camper top.

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    New engine means nothing but a clean bill of health you find on a boat with 300 hours.

google comparable boats and see what the going price is.

camper top will drive the price up since it’s expensive to repair or replace 
  • Options
    Thanks for the response, I am bringing a guy up with me to do a survey on it as well.

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    A survey will include a value which most banks and insurance will take over BlueBook or other sources.  If the survey value is over asking price it's a good deal.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to look at options. What if you can get a way better boat for $3k more ... 27k instead of 24k ... what would you do?  Choose a price range and look at your options.  You DEFINITELY don't want a boat that isn't proven (as much as possible) to be in good shape (via survey and live trial).

Also, at that price range, don't expect to get something perfect. I'd recommend having a few thousand available to fix things up after you get it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    That would be a little under $18000. If super clean and mechanical sound that would be in the ball park. IMO a little high but still in the park.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO brand new engines would command a higher price. I looked at a boat a few years ago with twin brand new mercruiser 6.2's still under warranty. Boat was not worth $20k more which is what the repower cost, but definitely worth more than the same 2003 boat with 2003 engines. That said, I would not pay a dime more for a boat with rebuilt engines. Too many variables. That boat is worth the same as if it had the original engine with 500 hrs. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I own a 2001 242 but with a 5.7/ Alpha One. What drive is on the one your interested in? When you do a sea trial, put as much fuel, water and passengers on board that you think you will normally have. You might find that the 5.0 isn't up to the challenge. Otherwise its a great boat. Good luck, keep us updated.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    BayrunnerBayrunner Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    Get it below 20K.
    Bayrunner -- FV312 - Simple Pleasure