Options

Can I pick your collective brains for an engine start problem? '94 Rinker 265, mercruiser 5.7

ajj001ajj001 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi,
Our boat is on the Thames in London and been in a marina all winter. Now having trouble starting her, wondered if you had any advice before I call an engineer.....here goes....

Tried to start engine and just got a single 'click' with a drop in voltage at the helm
Have checked batteries and they both read 12.4v so look ok
Checked continuity across the breaker that sits above the engine, next to the slave solenoid and that looks ok
Ran a wire across the two heavy duty points on the solenoid (to effectively bypass it) and get a 'click-click-click' when turning power on.

Is it time to hit the starter with a hammer? Or is there some further testing I can do?

Thanks in advance

AJ

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a battery booster that you can try? Just because the batteries read 12.4 doesn’t mean they are still good under load. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    ajj001ajj001 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I do. Tried it a few weeks back and it didn't help......but then maybe the booster is broken....will have another shot.
    Is there a way of checking the batteries effectiveness under load?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    If it's a lead-acid battery, check the water level in the battery too.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are going down the right path to me.  12.4 v on a battery isn't necessarily a definite positive that the battery is good.  Mine will read 13.3 when fully charged and 11.5 when almost depleted.  Try and turn over the engine by hand with a large socket and breaker bar just to make sure the engine isn't siezed for some reason.  If the engine spins, batteries are good the next likely culprit is that your starter is dead.  I always love how things just decide to die over winter with no use.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Take it to get load tested. Will read 12v unloaded but give it a load and it will dive.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/