Options

white cockpit seat stain

I have a purple stain on my seat. I guess from suntan lotion. I tried to remove it but it won't come out. Anyone have any ideas...

Comments

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did a quick forum search for "vinyl" and this discussion came up(see link). There's some good input. Good luck. Mike

LINK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr clean erasers or try baking soda with water as a paste. Some of the oxyclean ones work well too, just try it on a hidden spot first.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The input from the link above was worth the read. The best input was from a PDF that Steve linked to from the Rinker vinyl supplier....(LINK)  

It discouraged many types of cleaners, most of which I'd think would've been a good idea, but would eventually have a damaging effect in the long term. It boiled down to Aerspace 303 cleaner/protectant as the one to use. I just happened to have some left over from an inflatable dinghy I renewed and it's the right stuff.

Hope that helps. Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    tundra250tundra250 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Thanks guys, I used an all purpose cleaner and then some 303 Aero and it didn't remove the stain...I went back to the boat a week later and the stain was gone.....Go figure
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Sounds like the sun may have helped you out.  Either way, that's great news! :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glad you got it taken care of..... and now that it's over with, I just gotta say:

there are so, many, directions a title of a thread like this one could have gone... :-D
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Oh my!!  I had to get off the floor from laughing!  I never even saw that one coming (no pun intended)!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    fyi for future reference. if you take a damp sponge and a bit of comet and gently rub most hard stains will come out. it may take a few applications but it works. then apply a conditioner to keep the vinyl from drying out. it also works great to get the blue dye out from someone sitting on the seats with new blue jeans.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    oh by the way. the spot you clean will be brighter because the rest of the cushion is slighty dirty. so you may end up doing the entire seating area.... just saying... :)>-
  • Options
    Capt_SteveCapt_Steve Member Posts: 281 admin
    Probably wouldn't hurt to repost this...it's the cleaning/care recommendations from the Rinker vinyl supplier.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a ball point pen ink mark on the white vinyl seat of my 2011 Rinker 226XL. It looked nasty. The repair guy at the dealer said leave it alone for two weeks - don't touch the thing with anything. If it doesn't break down and fade to nothing I'll take a look at it - but for now anything I do will probably make it worse unless I remove all of the color entirely from the area and re apply new color. Do you want to pay $150.00 now or wait? I waited, it disappeared, I bought him a six pack. MT
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    I find that most stains will disappear on there own. Same thing happened to me with a pen.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The admiral had a red tie dye top that left pinkish stains on a new white vinyl seat a few years back. I was all set to try toothpaste, Zud, Old Dutch or something when an old salt on a boat nearby told me to leave it alone for awhile as the stain would break down a lot with just the exposure to the sun. He was right. After a month or so it went away 99% .  I thought I could still see a little bit of a stain but my buddies (and the admiral) all thought I was nuts. MT