Options

Batteries / Charging System

FamilyTrucksterFamilyTruckster Member Posts: 11 ✭✭

Awhile back I posted about battery size and running positions in the ’04 282 <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />BR.  After a month or so I have new questions.  I have noticed that the reading on the voltmeter is always below 13 volts.  If I don’t hook up to shore power over night the next day it will be around 10 volts with the battery switch in the off position after docking for the day.  After starting and running the voltmeter never shows the level increasing.  It seems that it only charges from shore power (although the volts don’t drop while it is running either).

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

So, is it actually charging the batteries while running?  Why do I never get over 12 volts at the volt meter?  I will admit that I have not bough the recommended bigger batters (1000 cca vs my existing 680).  Does that matter?  I checked the batteries and they were both between 12 and 13 (at the posts) and stayed in the good range when under a load from the tester. 

Does this sound normal?  I don’t see any neighbors having to plug their boats in every night (or ever for that matter).  I am afraid to use the radio, fridge, etc while under way because I fear the system will drain leaving me stranded. 

Do I have a charging system issue?  By the way, the repair guys said to replace the batteries, but said all else is okay after spending 1.5 hours tracing the wiring.  I would feel better if the voltmeter read 13 to 14 volts – unless they just don’t do that on this boat.