Options

Don't try to save money by getting off-brand spark plugs

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
My dock neighbor with a really nice 32' express cruiser just destroyed both of his engines by replacing the spark plugs with cheap, off-brand plugs.  After installing them, he took the boat out for a cruise and started losing power, so he limped back in and started to do a compression check.  On a bunch of the plugs, the ceramic insulators had failed, dumping ceramic debris into his cylinders.  It caused so much damage that the engines can't be saved.  

Don't let it happen to you.  

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to hear the Paul Harvey version, aka the rest of the story. There's got to be some missing details here......
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I am shocked to read this, that is horrible. What brand were they?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    It’s possible he bought the wrong plugs that were too long and damaged the top of his pistons.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine cheap plugs destroying an engine..has to be more to it
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Hmmm. I've seen ceramic crack if overheated but never seen it come right off unless smacked by a piston. And all of them?? I too suspect whoever cross referenced the plugs screwed up and went too long. Did anyone compare to the old before installing?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    I'm trying to get details.  He bought the plugs on Amazon, but they were not brand-name plugs.  I personally saw one plug.  The electrode was intact, so it wasn't a case of the plug being too long.  The ceramic insulator was just gone. 

The damage didn't happen until he warmed up the engines and got underway at cruise speed.  I guess it tore up the cylinder walls and rings, but I'm not sure what other damage was done.  At a minimum, he's looking at two short blocks.  

Obviously, the guy is not in a happy place right now.  I haven't seen him since it happened.  He's an experienced and knowledgeable boater, so it's a real shame to see this happen.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that sucks. Of all the things I might buy on Amazon, spark plugs never occurred to me since I can buy them at a half a dozen spots within a 10 minute drive. I don't even like cross referencing between major brands if the original is at all available.
    A good lesson here for sure.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye
    i would never buy off brand spark plugs lol
    like wtf!
    sorry for the guy but dang and deff something is off with the story 
  • Options
    I still dont know what off brand is. I use Champion and NKG. Would auto-lite be an off brand?

• Options
    No
    but jin jum gum from North Korea would be lol
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I still dont know what off brand is. I use Champion and NKG. Would auto-lite be an off brand?
    Autolite is all I run in my race cars, spraying them with copious amounts of nitrous. Autolite makes a good plug. 
  • Options
    I guess an off brand is simple - a brand I've thankfully never heard of :) Oh and I've ordered Champion and NKG from Ebay and Amazon, particularly when I needed 12 - 16 plugs, with no issues but of course I read the ad's clearly to make sure there is nothing to cause concern like bad english or things that just dont make sence. Usually can tell when its someone that knows plugs that wrote the ad. 

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have guessed Harbor Freight. lol. I bet the heat range was off on the plugs... or just pure junk from China for the price. Been an NGK guy since my motocross bike days. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never seen the ceramics on the inside of spark plug break but i have seen diesel glow plugs swell and break, usually upon removal they are so swollen at the probe it wont fit back through the head.  You find out ince you get the glow plug out and its missing the tip.

Also avoid any of those E3 spark plugs, even if it's going in your lawn mower or chainsaw, they sell them at reputable stores.  They make a good paper weight.  

Ngk and bosch for me, champion or ac delco if I can't find the first 2.  

• Options
    I just got a Spank Plug brand from Ebay
    seems legit