Options

CO detector false alarm

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
Over the weekend we were at a marina for our annual Blessing of the Fleet.  At 2 different times the CO detector went off.  In both cases when I removed the batteries and replaced them, it read zero again and stopped beeping.  Nothing had been running (engine, genny) and I don't think any of the boats near me had anything running.  I started to wonder since the heat was on if it could do something to cause a false alarm.

Any thoughts?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    How old is the detector?

Hydrogen outgassing from a lead-acid battery can trigger the CO alarm.  Do you have a battery near the CO detector, like a bow thruster battery?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an FYI: CO detectors have a life span of about 5 years. Then need replacement. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I got this one in Feb 2017.  It is supposed to display END when it's at end-of-life.  

The alarm was mounted in the mid-berth.  The batteries are in the engine compartment back by the water heater.   They could be the cause since they are on the same side and not super far from the bulkhead for the mid-berth.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    FWIW: Chicken Marsala will set mine off every time. In my life lifesaving equipment is 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have 3 CO detectors on my 280 - one in the head, one by the v-berth, and one by the midship berth. It's not typical that more than one false-alarms.