Tools to keep at the boat/marina

cmelt2003cmelt2003 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
What tools and parts would everyone suggest to keep on hand? I’m getting tired of lugging my tools to the boat from home, so I am thinking about putting a box together from Habor Freight. What tools can you not live without? 

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everything you can think of and you will still be missing what you need.
  • cmelt2003cmelt2003 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    rasbury said:
    everything you can think of and you will still be missing what you need.
    Very true indeed!
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    There is a big thread on the forum about this. Just do a search. IMO one of the most important things is a multi-meter.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    raybo3 said:
    There is a big thread on the forum about this. Just do a search. IMO one of the most important things is a multi-meter.
    I actually did search but nothing came up. I’ll look again and if I find it, I’ll delete this one. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I keep a socket/ratchet/wrench set of all the sizes along with screwdriver and all the bits.  Channel locks, pliers (couple types), impact driver (with bits) & drill (but I don't use drill that much).  That tends to cover about 90% of what I would need.  I can usually find something around my dock neighbors as well (we all have pretty good tool selections of various things).  Was funny, yesterday my dock neighbor need a cutting tool (hacksaw or sawzaw) to cut a zinc in half that goes into his genny).  I had just taken mine home a couple weeks ago.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am up to 4 tool boxes on board. lol. A nice Kobalt socket set in a hard case. 2 plastic tool boxes for screwdrivers, wrenches, multi-meter, assorted zip ties, clamps, fasteners, sealants... Then a small drawer type for electric connection parts. They all get used. lol. And I still end up bringing tools from home!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    edited May 2019
    I am up to 4 tool boxes on board. lol. A nice Kobalt socket set in a hard case. 2 plastic tool boxes for screwdrivers, wrenches, multi-meter, assorted zip ties, clamps, fasteners, sealants... Then a small drawer type for electric connection parts. They all get used. lol. And I still end up bringing tools from home!
    Well, now I know who to go see when I need something!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A filter wrench or filter pliers will come in handy if you have to change a fuel filter out on the water.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good cordless drill.  I have a Ryobi with a spare battery and charger.  I also have two important accessories that use the same battery.  One is their excellent inflator/deflator ... the fastest way to inflate fenders and water toys.  Also I have a fan.  

The thing about the inflator is that it lets me keep a couple of 24" ball fenders on the boat.  I store them flat, and inflate when needed.  They are great for raft-ups.  
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a combination of what @Dream_Inn and @Black_Diamond have. Add to that a couple of rolls of rescue tape, electrical tape, heat-shrink and crimp connectors (and tool). As @raybo3 said a multimeter is a must but learn how to use it, there are some key things to know to get the best use out of it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep a set on the boat that stay on the boat.  I also keep a volt-ohm meter on the boat.  I have debated on getting a compact drill-driver to leave in the boat too.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, I do keep a multimeter and filter wrenches as well!  As far as inflator, I have a vacuum that connect to a 5 gal bucket.  Works fantastic (& quick) for blowing and deflating water toys.  @LaRea, I bet I can inflate my 36" ball fender quicker than you can your 24" !  :)  (I'm pretty sure I can't, you can only put so much thru that dang needle thing!  That's why I don't carry it often)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @cmelt2003 dont delete this thread. Its always good to go over this stuff. Here is the older post about tools

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/comment/88405#Comment_88405
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the tools mentioned I also keep a spare serpentine belt, distributor cap and rotor and alternator. To be fair, these are all things I changed as preventative maintenance but the old ones were still ok as spares to potentially get me home. Also have a dozen hose clamps in various sizes, fuses, zip ties, marine epoxy, silicone self sealing plumbing tape and electrical tape and a battery booster pack. Oils and fluids. Couple of flash lights. Last but not least a Sea-Tow membership.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270