Options

ProMAriner IsoCharge

SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
is trying to install a pro mariner isocharge in place of the battery isolator that failed.   

The new new unit needs an ignition controlled power input.    Any idea where to find that one in the engine compartment of my 312 or do I have to go back to the helm.   I don’t know why it seems so foreign to me.   On a car it’s simple.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ?how about the slave selinod on top of the motor? Yellow wire red tracer.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    @SeaShift what were the symptoms when your isolator failed?  I'm troubleshooting an issue that might be a failed isolator.

Did you install the ProMariner?  What do you think of it?  
  • Options
    dwmackenziedwmackenzie Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    an old style diode based isolator will do the job for half the cost.  A bit less efficient but easier to install.  I just replaced mine for $120 in about 30 min on my 2002 342 with 2 alternators and 3 battery bank set up.  Easy to test with any standard multi-meter with a diode tester.....you will see a reading with red lead on the alternator connector and black lead on the battery connector.  The opposite should read infinity.  If not, you have a problem
  • Options
    Well, I learned the hard way this weekend -- that test might not be 100% conclusive.  

I was on shore power all weekend, but the house bank went down to 9 V and the charger was acting all crazy.  This is a high-end Blue Sea Systems charger with a digital display.  It would say bank 1 was pushing 50A for a few seconds, then zero, over and over -- and it wouldn't charge any of the batteries.  

With the engines running, the alternators wouldn't charge the house bank, so that was my clue to remove the isolator and check it as @dwmackenzie described.  It tested fine ... around 0.5 volts from each alternator pin to each battery pin, infinity in the other direction, and no shorts to the case.  Then I bypassed the isolator and connected the charger directly to the batteries, and the charger works normally.  Best guess, maybe the isolator was damaged by a power surge in Thursday's storm.  

I couldn't find a diode isolator locally, so I ordered the ProMariner box.  I installed the ignition leads from the helm today so I'll be ready when it gets here.  

@seashift -- my boat has digital throttle and shift (DTS), so just I tapped into the bus bars at the junction box behind the helm.  
  • Options