Options

Wonky tachometer question...

2007 350EC, twin Merc 350 MAGs.  Starboard tach is bouncing a lot.  Tried tapping the gauge, think it might be a bad ground.  Where would I continue to look for this ground (or the sending unit on the motor)?  I have pulled the dash and everything is very clean, no corrosion.  Pulled the connectors on the gauge, everything is very clean and good.  

Any thoughts?  

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a switch on the back of the gauge for 4,6 and eight cylinders. Try moving the switch back and forth a couple of times.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Little bit of levity for a wonky tach. Ages ago we put a bunch of foil wrapped Taco Bell chili cheese burritos on the intake to keep them warm. That certainly made the tach jump all over the place.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faria tach?  If so: that is the problem. 😂

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Yes, I know the Faria tachs are garbage.  I'm still hopeful, though...    :#
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Faria tachs are known for that.  As aero3113 says, try moving the pin in the back and forth, and put it back in the right setting, then see if it settles. Ohterwise, get yourself some better gauges!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Or just switch to vessel view and eliminate the gauges all together.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or put in a Smart Craft system, but not sure what the interface is with that 2007 engine (even for vessel view) ... is their an analog to digital harness needed?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    It like has an SC plug like my 2003 but not implemented so easy to add VVM.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    proffsionlproffsionl Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    mattie said:
    Little bit of levity for a wonky tach. Ages ago we put a bunch of foil wrapped Taco Bell chili cheese burritos on the intake to keep them warm. That certainly made the tach jump all over the place.
    Why did they stop making the chili cheese burrito at most locations? Man those were good. 
    I was always partial to the Enchirito...  :smiley: