Options

1992 rinker 235 fiesta vee hull/stinger composition

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just got a new(to me) rinker. Fit the need for a fun little boat that gave us more exploring opportunity on the local inland lakes than my sailboat.  Too many bridges.  The boat seems very solid save for a little soft where the batteries sit port side of the motor.

Is this a wood cored transom and stingers or foam? The wood i have found to be exposed has been solid.

Forgive me if this isnt an express cruiser model.

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The stringers are wood cored.  I believe most of the lower hull is solid fiberglass.  Surprised a soft spot did not turn up on the survey.

And yes the Fiesta Vee models are express cruisers.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I doubt he had a survey on a 1993
    you should see some boats I come across during the season!
    some people buy junk for premium and get upset when I call it junk 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    No survey done when i purchase a boat when selling off the trialer and motor/outdrive will make me back half my investment price.

I did a good knock knock test on her (owning mostly 70s model sailboats over the years i find lots of rotten balsa core)  and found nothing i felt unsafe with other than needing some carb work.  A wood core of this vintage that was anything other than a weekend holiday use barn kept boat will have moisture.  

I ask because when i was pulling old speedo and transducers from the transom and filling with thickend epoxy i didnt find any wood when i cleaned out the bolt holes.    

I should also add im handy with epoxy and plywood, rebuilding stingers is a weeknd job.  Now rebuilding the Transom and everything wood cored tied to said stingers, well that's a job for someone else.  My favorite way to lay a stinger is pour arjay into a mold for the engine mount pad then epoxy averything into place around it with plywood.  Im not a fan of something as substantial and heavy as a motor being held jnto place with wood.

Post edited by PickleRick on