Options

2013 310 Front Strataglass

jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
Getting the boat all ready to splash in tomorrow for the season. In getting everything ready, one of the front panels (with the thicker material, I think called strataglass ) got a crack in it. What’s the best repair option? 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’ll have have new strataglas put in. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jbschmalz23jbschmalz23 Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    Is that something a canvas shop would carry, or should I ameritex? 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Both
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I purchased from Ameritex, they have all of your patterns on file. You can purchase  strataglass, plastic, or full canvas with the snap/ zipper / velcro frames.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A local canvas shop can install new strataglas in the panel. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And once you have it fixed get a good cleaner/conditioner (if you don't already) like 303 Aerospace or my current favourite Klear to Sea. Keeps eisenglass and strataglass clean but most importantly soft and supple. Prevents yellowing also. If going with 303 get the right one. There's one for vinyl like seats and one for eisenglass.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I kind of believe at this point there is no such product that keeps eisenglass from yellowing over the course of a few years.  It's a replace every 3 - 4 years product IMO
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    skennelly said:
    I kind of believe at this point there is no such product that keeps eisenglass from yellowing over the course of a few years.  It's a replace every 3 - 4 years product IMO

Absolutely not correct.  I use 303 Aerospace.  My isinglass is now 11 years old and looks fine and no yellowing at all (just some scratches because of the way I store it at times).  My prior boat, I went 9 years before replacement, using the same stuff mostly.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I've had good luck with Plexus on the isinglass.
  • Options
    I used Plexus as well...maybe that 303 is magic stuff.  I seem to be the guy that when I talk to people about eisinglass theirs have lasted for years and years and mine only a few.  :/
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Guy in my marina with Carver has eisinglass well over 10 years and it still looks new.  Uses Plexus.  My 2007 Bayliner (sold to daughter for Rinker a year ago) has side curtains getting pretty cloudy (not really yellowing) and could probably be replaced, but that was a good 10 years.

Paul
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I like 210
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    I like 210
    I like the price of 210.  :)  Actually need to replace my can.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye plexus is good stuff 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @skennelly - Do your you and/or passengers use a lot of spray sunscreen or bug repellents? My isinglass guy says spray oils/lotions are the #1 reason glass goes bad so fast. 
  • Options
    Lol
    thats
    bs

what you spray it against the windows lol

it goes bad from
    sun
    washing
    but not
    conditioning
    or
    doing nothing at all to it  
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    zaverin1 said:
    Lol
    thats
    bs

what you spray it against the windows lol

it goes bad from
    sun
    washing
    but not
    conditioning
    or
    doing nothing at all to it  
    So...you're saying that the chemicals in spray sunscreen and bug repellents when landing on your isinglass from over spray does no harm?

This is a good read that backs up my - and my window guy's - point: https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2014/december/boat-window-care.asp

And the pertinent section: "...Insect repellents are particularly damaging, so apply these far away and downwind of your vinyl. Many sunscreens contain chemicals that will fog clear vinyl. Be cautious not to handle or rub against the windows with repellent or sunscreen on your skin."
  • Options
    @TonyG13 - No I make sure to tell people to spray sun lotion off the dock and not much bug spray used.  I do believe our air quality has some to do with it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    My windshield connector is on its 3rd season and starting to get that yellow crud on it.  I don't ever remove the windshield...so it's never rolled up or anything.  Just sprayed with Plexus
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @skennelly - I'm in your area, so I wonder if it's the quality of the product used. Our 2014 Rinker windows show lots of wear, even with proper care. Whereas, our '94 Maxum which we had until last year (so 20+ years) still had the original vinyl - which was almost like new - when we traded her in. Could have just lucked out or maybe Brunswick spec'd higher quality vinyl back then. 
  • Options
    @TonyG13 - I replaced mine through boattech01 so it's Ameritex replacement.  I dunno
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Yes guys it’s also all about quality of the product when windows are made.