Options

AC hack?

merrickmmerrickm Member Posts: 24
Hey guys anyone attempt a hack on a 342 to get ac to the v birth? Can literally freeze coke cans to exploding in the mid birth and broil a steak in the v birth. Thinking of forgoing the shallow storage corners and converting them to an ac duct. Thoughts??

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yeah, the air circulation isn't great.  I used to put a fan at the bottom of the stairs blowing air up into the v-berth.  That helped a lot.  Not a wimpy 12-volt fan ... one of those turbo fans.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely notice the temp difference from the v berth to the aft cabin but not enough that I would change ducts or get a fan. Have you tried just adjusting the large vent?
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one if those Dyson bladeless fans I sit by the TV enclosure and have it blow towards the bow. Solves the problem. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I keep wanting to buy one of those as seen on TV little portable a/c units...have you seen the adds? My downstairs cools fine but won't cool the upper deck when the camper package is up...just watched some reviews for artic air....might not do exactly what is is advertised for but might be a little boost to the cooling system?
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    i also just put a 120v rotating fan on the shelf by the TV, even with the curtain closed it seams to solve the problem.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    In all seriousness - an Atwood silent blower will use little power to move a ton of air. You can mount it in one of the smaller cabinets and have it just blow air without ducting - mounted along a wall it'll create a gyre effect and help keep the whole boat cool. Did it on my 280 with a cigarette plug on one end, set it on top of the galley and can draw in cool air from portholes, hatches, etc. too.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all seriousness - an Atwood silent blower will use little power to move a ton of air. You can mount it in one of the smaller cabinets and have it just blow air without ducting - mounted along a wall it'll create a gyre effect and help keep the whole boat cool. Did it on my 280 with a cigarette plug on one end, set it on top of the galley and can draw in cool air from portholes, hatches, etc. too.
    That’s a great idea to bring cold air up to the cockpit. Put the blower in front of the aft birth window with the camper inclosure up. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭