I got a 342 Fiesta Vee for free

The boat has 250 hours on 5.7’s overall in good condition. It does have the VP xpd drives one good one bad.  2006 . I have sourced a used xpd for 2800 . I would  purchase and install to verify running condition of vessel and then explore other options.  When all is Said and done
l’ll be in for 10.  Money owed to the marina and a bunch of other small incidentals.   Do I jump in or run?

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on a lot more but sounding pretty good. Any pics? I’d still have a surveyor come and do a structural survey on just the hull and deck, worth $300 for that. Don’t take it unless you can stomach the worst case scenario which is something like $30k for repower and new drives which would still be a great deal depending on the boat year. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    Welcome!  The 342 is definitely one of the best and most popular Rinkers.  What's your level of boating expertise, and your tolerance for pain?  Sounds like a great opportunity, but it's not a project for a newbie, or for somebody that gets frustrated doing repairs.  

Some people don't like the VPs because it's harder to find qualified mechanics.  

Have you done hull moisture readings?  Any evidence of water leaks in the cabin?  What's the condition of the interior and vinyl?  
  • BigAlDunbarBigAlDunbar Member Posts: 6
    Liberty the boat is a 2006.  I think the the survey would be beneficial for my own info also perhaps for resale. I never considered one, thanks for the suggestion.  This would be my fourth boat but by far the largest.   Thanks for the response 
    La Rea Vinyl and interior Show well.  My pain tolerance is high as I have spent many hours inside engine compartments lol.  I have twisted a few wrenches in my day. It sounds like 10 may just be a drop in the bucket.  But I agree some moisture readings and a survey may be money well spent before getting in too deep
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    That’s a real nice boat if the survey is good I’d grab it 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can get that for $30k all said and done: looks like a steal. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Here's the other option to explore. Volvo-Penta have extended their XDP replacement program through the end of this year. Get the two new DPS-B's for the engines that should be in great shape at only 250 hours. That's nearly nothing on a maintained GM V8. You'll spend $25K plus but will have a great drive train that should be good for years to come. The new drives come with a 2-year limited warranty. I did this swap in 2015 to an Ocean-X (DPS-Oxi) and it transformed my 2006 boat. I'm in So. Cal. and V.P. dealers/mechanics are easy to find, however I understand that isn't the case in a lot of places. Program details here: http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/xdpupgrade.html

Andy

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love a great find and a great deal. I would definitely do the structural survey and do both compression and vacuum/let down testing on the engines. It's worth a few bucks. I would also turn on everything electrical to see how it works, pull out the panel to see if there is any corrosion back there. Do the fridges and ice maker work? Not deal breakers but I'd want a good estimate in my head of worst case. Even if you end up $40k in you are still way ahead of what you can sell it for. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I jumped the in!!!!!!!! If it’s free it’s for me.  I purchased a set of used drives today. Judging by the amount of spare seals parts etc they have been well maintained  only 200 hours. They were paired
    With 5.0L engines. I believe I bought them right and could recoup my investment if I decide to upgrade the drives and keep this fine vessel.  If I have the time  this weekend I will be changing gimbal bearings bellows and installing the drives.  
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭
    congratulations good luck with the new boat 
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    Congrats!  I predict you'll be a frequent visitor to this forum -- the best source on the web for Rinker know-how!
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,652 mod
    Congrats!!  & welcome to the forum!  I couldn't have said it any better than LaRea.  Just take and add pictures as you go so that we all can learn and help! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RUN

LOL

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I suggest you go through this thread to get some inspiration.

http://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/9666/bring-342-back-to-life#latest

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    That’s awesome bigAL looks like a nice boat
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another proud owner of a 342, good find, 
    Boat Name :