Options

Good Food ideas on the boat!

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

OK, I know we've discussed this before, but it always brings up some great things.  & nothing better to talk about than what to eat while boating. (ok, maybe what to drink)

One of our best lunch dishes starts with those cans (about twice the size of a tuna can) of chicken that you get in a 6-pack at Sam's.  I know, chicken in a can???  but, the best part about it is you can leave them on the boat & you don't have to worry about refrigeration.  The admiral takes the chicken (which is already cooked and shredded), puts it in the skillet and adds shredded cheese.  Spread that in a soft flour tortilla (or soft taco shell), then top with your favorite toppings.  We add a peach salsa and warm up a can of black beans.  Very very simple and quite tasty.

Another item that has been on our menu lately is to take a pork tenderloin, put it in the crockpot for 4 -5 hours on high, or 8 hours on low just covering it with water.  Shred as you need it and add to bbq sauce on a bun!  Oh man, we had it this past weekend and will this weekend too.  What works nice for us is that we get to the marina after work for the weekend, put it in and it is ready when we cruise away in the morning.  Sometimes we get it about half cooked, then do the rest with the genny on the hook.

Ok, let's hear a bunch more ideas!!  I'm getting hungry!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Our favorites are chips and salsa, pepperoni cheese and crackers, bacon pepper jack burgers, kabobs on the grill.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be a nice separate thread! Who has the power?!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Not really food, but a cooking comment: I got sick of taking the grill apart & cleaning it all the time - what a pain in the a**. I switched to a George Forman grill. Run it off the generator, line it with tin foil, top & bottom. When I'm done cooking, I throw away the tin foil & I'm done, 1 minute cleanup.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    Crock Pot Hot Dogs for a crowd
    I steam mine in beer great when you have a big raft up
    Stand hotdogs on end if you're trying to cram in 60. If not, you can just dump them in. There's no need to add water. This is for two reasons: 1, the hotdogs will release moisture all on their own, and 2, if you have a crockpot full of hot dog water it'll just be kind of gross to dig through the water to pick them out. and 3 (I lied, there are 3 reasons) if the hotdogs hang out in hot water for too long they'll end up splitting on you.

Cover, and cook on low for 4 hours, or on high for about 2 hours--check to make sure the ones in the middle are fully hot before serving. Serve with tongs into buns and top with desired fixens'.

Your dogs can stay on the "warm" setting for an awfully long time. If your pot has a hot spot (mine does), the dogs on the edge will get kind of crispy and blackened, which will COMPLETELY fool your 10-year-old into thinking you learned how to barbecue.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    We always get brat patties with cheese in them! Huge hit for those that don't like th skin of brats
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    vquadvquad Member Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

my wife precooks the majority of what we eat on the boat from bbq ribs to pork roast in the crock pot.

when we break out the grill its ribeyes or filets along with a fresh garlic Caesar salad.

1 of our favorite boat foods is "slaw dogs"...cole slaw over a steaming hot dog on a warm bun,YUM!

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options

KneeDeep, never thought about tin foil on the Foreman. Cause sometimes it is a pain to clean.  Great tip!

Boomer, never thought about dogs in the pot in the summer.  The admiral does do sauerkraut and beer in the crockpit with dogs or kielbasa - usually on New Year's Day.  Great way to feed a crowd!

Brian, we cook those Hillshire Farms ones with the cheddar.  They actually cook up ok even in the micro!

Vquad, slaw dogs...you MUST live in the south!  ;)

• Options
    edited July 2013

photo CIMG0390.jpg

grilled "yard bird"

Post edited by vquad on

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options

southerner?

guilty as charged your honor

:D

2007 rinker 270

"Julie Ann"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slaw dogs and Crock dogs and Tuna....sounds like an explosive bilge gas trifecta.  :D

These are some of the best ideas that I've seen....every one of 'em. Man, I'm getting hungry. Great thread DA.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    How about trying some ham and cream cheese rollups. Just burrito size flour tortillas with cream cheese spread on it and then layer ham. Roll up refregerate for an hour and then cut up into bite size pieces! Ummm they are amazing. Also they are really good if you substitute pimento cheese for the cream cheese and ham. Also very great!

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Thought I'd bring this topic back up to the front.  Lots of new people on board here and would love to hear some new great ideas!