Options

2002 Rinker 342

BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
Would there be an existing Merc junction box that came standard on the 342?  My tach gauges have digital hours for the engines, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Probably not.  Are your engines Smartcraft-compatible?  Smartcraft was introduced in mid-2002.  

You probably have the standard Faria analog gauges, not Smartcraft gauges.  The Faria tach has a digital hour meter, but it's not reading digital info from the engine computer.  It's just a counter for the hours when your engine is running.  They can actually display a number that's different from what's stored in the engine computer.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Look at the air cleaner cover for the smartcraft logo. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my 06 engines are smartcraft - but no junction boxes :(
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not expect junction boxes.  I had to add a couple when I installed vessel view.  The smartcraft gauges don't seem to use the same connection as the VV.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    @BlackWatch Are you looking to add VesselView Mobile? If so I posted under similarly named thread what I did for my 2003 310 that I expect you'd need to do the same, if you have SmartCraft. Call Merc with serial numbers, they will confirm but as I mentioned above, if you have the logo you likely have the early version like mine.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Call Mercruiser with your engine serial numbers and they’ll be able to give you a definitive answer. My 2002 FV270 is SmartCraft ready... just made the cut by a few hundred. Lol
  • Options
    BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the input.  Yes, I do have the SmartCraft logo on the engine covers. @icoultha
    I will review your thread.