Options

2002 Rinker 342 Rocker Switch

BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
There is a black rocker switch on the ignition helm panel to the very left of the keys?  Anyone know what it's for?  There is no lettering.

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    From the factory, it's a blank so you can install an accessory.  
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Its probably a blower switch....That's what it is on my 2005
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea on my 06 that is the blower switch
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    It varies depending on the year and model of your boat.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    On a 2002 its an extra acc switch........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    On my 2003 310 it was ACC also. I took the stereo switch wire off the port key switch ACC and put it to this switch instead, no key needed for music.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    05 its ACC. blower switch is down with the keys.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Huh??? The OP was talking about the rocker near the keys.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanD2 said:
    Huh??? The OP was talking about the rocker near the keys.
    My bad i was thinking right side sorry
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the input everyone...I will just have to do some exploring to find what the mystery switch is attached to. 
  • Options
    caik01caik01 Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2002 342 and ours goes to white under water lights
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    On my 2003 310 it was ACC also. I took the stereo switch wire off the port key switch ACC and put it to this switch instead, no key needed for music.
    @icoultha - Thinking about doing this. Is it difficult? How do I know which wire is from the stereo? Do you happen to have any pics from when you did it?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes I planned on doing this as well. Very annoying having the key in as I am a little worried about bumping it and breaking it off. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 on my 03 310 it is the pink wire on port ignition switch. I had to trim the protective plastic off of the terminal and then plug it into the open spade connector on the switch. 10 minute job including changing the switch cover 

• Options
    edited March 2021
    The "switch/accessory" wire from the stereo I assume connects to the back side of the key and I think stereo switch/accessory wire is red. So take this wire and add it to one side of a switch that has 12v power to it? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Switch already had power to it. Just move the wire over and done!
  • Options
    Planning on going to the boat tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    on a '03  342 it is the swim platform light.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Found the manual for my stereo. So please let me know if I'm reading this correctly. I'm looking for a RED line on the key ACC terminal. I pull that off and put it on an open ACC switch terminal and then the radio will be on ACC switch and not the key? Do I need to do anything else?

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might look into doing this also, with kids onboard it worries me that they can easily start an engine with the key in the ignition. Both of my girls love keys and know what they can do, LoL.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 yes, red of the stereo. But it may connect to another color like the pink. I have the same vessel as @Pat310 and while I can’t recall the color, looking at his photo he’s spot on - and on the need to trim the plastic cover.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @TonyG13 if you look at my photo of the backs of the switches it is easy to identify the acc terminal by looking at the difference between the switches.  Starboard switch has an open tab and the same tab on the port side should be the stereo wire. 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Why is nothing ever easy on a boat?! Pulled the switch panel and I have two identical Mercury four position (Off-Acc-On-Start) key switches (#87-892336A01) -- which explains why putting either key in the ACC position will power the stereo -- with all the wires epoxied in place.

Now my problem is figuring out which wire(s) are for the ACC stereo - and possibly anything else?

A quick Google search and I can't find any wiring diagrams that look anything remotely like what I have.

The wire colors are:

Red
    Black
    Black/Yellow
    Yellow/Red
    Purple/White
    Purple

Questions coming to mind -- Does the ACC typically do anything else other than the stereo? Should I worry about screwing something else up? Once I know which wire it is, can I snip just one and run it to the new ACC panel switch or do I need to do both - and can I run both to just one switch?

A few pics...

• Options
    Can’t help you on which wire is acc but to me it looks like something is already wire to the switch.  If you look my photo there are 3 wires attached and yours already has 4. Probably pre-wired for an option not installed. Sorry couldn’t be more helpful
  • Options
    @pat310 - That's my blower switch. My plan is to use an ACC switch on my main panel which is to the right of my ignition panel.
  • Options
    Does each key need to be in ACC to turn the stereo on? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Does each key need to be in ACC to turn the stereo on? 
    No. I can do either one.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I think what I may need to do is start from the stereo and track it back to where it connects to the helm/switch harness - which is going to be a pain in the butt.
  • Options
    Ok so maybe the wire to the stereo has a split in it to go to both keys. Can you follow it back and see if it does and that may help you identify the wire. 

You could also use a test light poked into the wire insulation to see which wires get power when in ACC to help eliminate some options. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    After going through countless pics and sites, looks like this is my, unconfirmed / best guess, configuration:

Red - Positive
    Black - Ground/Negative
    Black/Yellow - Off/Kill
    Yellow/Red - Start
    Purple/White - Trim/Acc
    Purple - On/Ignition

So based on this, it would be the Purple/White wire - but I still don't know if anything else would be affected if I snip and switch it.